Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potassium Nitrate best fertilizer for tomatoes

Posted by californian 10 (My Page) on
Wed, May 12, 10 at 19:21

I just finished foliar feeding all the plants in my garden with a dilute solution of potassium nitrate. I mix it up in a 30 gallon barrel and use a watering can to apply it.
This article documents tests done using potassium nitrate for foliar feeding or preplant fertilization of tomato plants in several countries. Some of the things noted were 25% increase in yield, higher percentage of marketable fruit, increased disease and insect resistance, increased lycopene, and it can even be used to speed up germination of seeds. The proportions of K and N are exactly what the plant needs. Last time I bought some it cost about 53 cents a pound in a 50 pound bag.

Here is a link that might be useful: potassium nitrate fertilizer for tomatoes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potassium Nitrate best fertilizer for tomatoes

What about phosphorus, calcium, sulfur, magnesium and all the micronutrients? I'd rather use something more balanced.

o

I put a half a cup of bonemeal in the planting hole for phosphorus and calcium. For magnesium I foliar feed with epsom salts. For the trace elements I cover most of them with a couple of tablespoons of ironite in the planting hole. For zinc I foliar feed with zinc chelate. I guess you could use something like Miracle-Grow, but it gets most of its N from urea, which is OK. But nitrates are instantly available to the plant in the form it uses and don't have to be converted by micro-organisms first.
Foliar feeding also causes the plant to send exudates to its roots which cause an increase in micro-organisms in the root zone and further makes the palnt grow better.
Here is a good link to the many benefits of foliar feeding.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to foliar feed and benefits

o

Interesting article but the "best"? Wow! That's a pretty big broad claim. Especially when it is apparently based on

>one study done in different years a decade or more apart,

>in several different countries in Europe,

>each with very different soils and growing conditions,

>different rates of application,

>compared to untreated control plants and plants only getting other forms of K carriers pre-planting,

>and used as a side dressing or fertigation component (not foliar spray) and the fertigation apparently also included additional N & P,

>with very different results from country to country.

Still, based on the article, it is probably safe to say that plants given additional supplemental feedings of nutrients in some form at specific times during the growing season will out-perform/produce plants given only a pre-planting feeding.

Beyond that the view gets a little hazy. ;)

Dave

o

try to check these two links: one about tomato fertilizer and the other about potassium nitrate:

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato fertilizer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here