Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Is there a 'vine-ripe' difference?

lucillle
9 years ago

Can you tell a difference between vine ripened tomatoes and those picked at color break and ripened indoors?
I'm thinking early picking might mean the squirrels don't destroy as many (or maybe any).

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Not at all. Been a couple of surveys here on this question over the past few years and no noticeable difference repeatedly noted. Some even claim improved flavor since it doesn't get water-diluted.

The crucial point is what happens to the fruit at color break, the membrane that seals it off from the plant at that point. It has all it is going to get from the plant at that point except water and without the risk of squirrels, hail, over-watering, heavy rains, hornworms, stink bugs, blister beetles, sunscald, etc. etc. Compare a couple of the same variety and see for yourself.

Dave

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I am not sure, personally.
    Why greenhouse/store tomatoes don't taste as good? I think they are all picked at color break (!!). I have always though that is one of the poor taste of store bought tomatoes. I might be wrong.

I am for the dilution theory though (less water contents, more flavor). But if my tomatoes do not cracking, rotting, splitting problems or the squirrels and the bird don't beat me in being the first, I would rather let them fully ripen on the wine.

I think I will conduct a "taste test" of my own this season to find out.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

There are actually 4 color break stages and I'm just going from memory here.

stage1, slight blush at the bottom
    " 2, some color about

I decided to get the story straight so went agoogling and there are actually six stages and I linked to that below, with colors.

For many years I was growing many hundreds of plants and varieties and did a LOT of seed saving b/c at the time I was listing several hundred varieties in the SSE Yearbooks.

I never picked fruits until there was color half way up, and never processed them for seed until fully ripe b'c it is important to have as much juice as possible for the fermentation process.

So I always had half ripe fruits, sometimes less than half ripe, to let ripen up, and I never kept notes but can't say that all varieties picked at half ripe and then ripened up, and I didn't do it indoors, too many fruits to deal with, tasted the same as eating ripe ones picked off the vine. Pretty close, though.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Breaker Stages

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Seysonn, the reason that most tomatoes shipped in in the winter from FL and Mexico, etc. do not taste that great and are a pale pink instead of red is b/c they are picked green and then gassed with ethylene in huge chambers.

Ethylene is normally produced by the fruits in the ripening process, It's one reason that some folks still put fruits in paper bags and add either a cut apple or a banana, since they produce ethylene as well, and the paper bag allows for concentration of that gas.Same story for those who wrap unripened fruits in newspapers.

Most greenhouse tomatoes these days are grown hydroponially and many of them are darn good tasting. There's a hydroponic tomato place near me and their fruits are sold all over upstate NY and they take them to the Green Market in NYC as well

The first time I went there to see how the operation was run Phyllis asked if I smoked, I said yes I did, and she wouldn't let me in.LOL. I tried to tell her about TMV but made no progress.

I stopped smoking for a while, was let into several of the greenhouses and it was really interesting to see, and yes, the tomatoes they grow, special ones for hydroponic growing, tasted darn good.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Shushan tomatoes

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    9 years ago

Thanks for the explanation Carolyn but you've only further convinced me that vine ripened are better tasting. A neighbor farmer always picks his tomatoes pink so they have fewer blemishes but his sales have dropped over the years because the consumers can definately tell the difference. Some have told me that they taste like gased tomatoes (which he doesn't); others say the flavor is just lacking.

I'll even go one step further against the lacking scientific evidence in the complex flavor of tomatoes in stating that tomatoes ripening in cooler Autumn weather have poorer flavor profile and those tomatoes found under the tangle of vegetation that never develop more than a pink color take on the musty rotten flavor. There are some who will swear that the imitation flavor additives taste better than the real thing but common sense tells us better.