Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mfran12345

How close can tomatoes be spaced

How close can I plant tomatoe plants if they're going to be supported with cages, anyone go pretty close and still get good results? My space is limited. Thanks

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

What type of cages specifically? The 3-4 ring things? And are they determinate or indeterminate varieties? makes a big difference.

I just posted several links to discussions about the importance of proper spacing and the problems caused by over crowding in the discussion down the page titled "unpruned indeterminate tomato plants now look like bushes" down the page if you want to look at them.

Standard recommendation is 2-4 feet. I use 32-36" center to center with my CRW cages.

Link below is to a bunch of previous discussions on spacing.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Spacing discussions

• seysonn
    9 years ago

My space is limited. Thanks
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    I can identify with that. You have to get optimum production/use from any single square foot of land.

I do 18"( 18" by 18" in raised bed, by staking). But if your cage diameter is bigger than 18" then I think you'll need to space them few inches bigger farther than your cage diameter. If real estate was no object I would space them at 24" for convenience.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, May 21, 14 at 0:24

• mfran12345 (Zone 6b, northeast PA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I can get 18" x 18" between them but that'll be pushing it. I was going to make my own cages out of 6"x6" wire mesh. How does the staking method work, like literally what do you do? Just tie the main part of the plant to the stalk as it grows? Also I found out the tomatoes I have are indeterminate. Something I didn't know about so thanks for that. If you couldn't tell I'm a newbie. Thanks again.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Staking requires a lot of pruning and tying up. Often ONE stake per plant is not enough, IF you allow additional side branches. So , in my raised beds I do a combination of staking and FLORIDA WEAVE.. For this method you have to do different kind of staking and run rope/twines to keep the top supported and confined, in addition to tying. So, I think caging is the most simple and convenient way for a beginner. Cages made of cattle panel fencing and/or CRW are better than the best of any 3-ring cages around. Especially if you are growing vigorous indeterminants. They need minimum 5 ft support.

• KovarGarden
    9 years ago

I'd say 18-24" would be good if you plan to keep them growing vertical. a big bush variety and they will be too close. Keep a bit of space inbetween plants for proper airflow to the plant to keep them healthy and disease free. Last year my tomatoes were planted way too close and the blight spread very quickly. Good Luck!

If you want to see how my tomatoes are spaced this year in zone 8b: http://youtu.be/oda_FOI7Llw

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?