Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zapotec Tomato reviews?

Posted by afbq 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 13 at 19:39

I bought a Zapotec tomato plant today on an impulse buy. Any reviews on it? How sweet/tart is it? How prolific? Are these heirlooms and truly from the Zapotec people?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zapotec Tomato reviews?

From Tatiana's Tomatobase Zapotec

Note there are at least 3 sub-strains. Brokenbar who used to post here regularly lists it as one of the best varieties for drying.

Dave

o

As grown by me hollow, as the link from Tania's data base also indicates, and for me pretty much tasteless.

I have to call them as I grow them. ( smile)

Carolyn

o

I just harvested my first batch. They were not quite ripe, so hopefully the flavor will develop a bit more. So far, a bit bland, neither sweet nor tart, but really not bad. The texture was slightly mealy, so I think these would be better suited to saucing or drying versus eating in a fresh salad.

I chose this variety because I heard it would do better in hot dry conditions as compared to other varieties. I did not grow them in my garden; I planted one beside an apple tree so that it could piggy back on the same drip line. That tree gets watered no more than once a week. I rooted the suckers from that first plant and started about twenty more plants throughout the orchard. None of my plants have been bothered by any bugs or birds - not one nibble. They all seem to be quite happy with minimal watering and no added fertilizer or any ammendments whatsoever.

So, while this is not the most delicious tomato I have had so far, it is heavy bearing, tolerant or dry conditions and heat, doesn't mind poor soil. The only thing I did after transplanting them was cut off suckers and let them use the tree stakes for vertical support. Since I let them go sort of wild all over the orchard, I will have a lot and plan to sun dry most of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here