Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loveisblind1

Can I grow different types of tomatoes near each other?

loveisblind1
11 years ago

I have a Beefsteak tomato plant. Can I grow a cherry tomato plant without the worry of them cross pollinating?

Comments (5)

• garf_gw
    11 years ago

As long as you are not saving seed, no problem. If you are saving seed, forget it unless you bag every blossom.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

At the top of of this page there's a link to the FAQ's, click on it and scroll down until you come to the article titled How to Prevent Cross Pollination, with pictures, and it's an excellent article that should answer all of your questions and if not just ask here in your own thread.

The degree of seed purity is based on what your use of seeds is, whether for home use, or listing in the SSE YEarbook or trading seeds, etc. So knowing that you can read about seed purity in that FAQ and decide what might be best for you.

Carolyn

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

Cross-pollination will not affect the fruit, only the seeds.

• davidtigerfan
    11 years ago

I harvested all my seeds last year from 4 different plants and had no problems.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I think it might help if I link to the article I was referring to b'c there are many many variables that are involved with the statistics of cross pollination, etc. and while I could discuss them, there's no reason to b/c the article does an excellent job of doing so.

That link is below.

I also encourage folks to look at the articles in the FAQ's before they post b/c some of the most asked questions here at GW in this Forum are answered in some of those articles.

Which is why they were written in the first place. ( Smile)

The search feature is at the bottom of the page and sometimes you have to use different words to find something, that I know.

And Google is your friend if all other sources don't tell you what you want to know.

Just a bit of history here.

Initially tomatoes were discussed in the vegetable Forum but it got to the point that that Forum was being clogged up with tomato questions, so Spike, the original owner of GW, started this tomato Forum and at the same time put up the Pest and Disease Forum as well as the photo Gallery and the Seed Exchange, which is supposed to be an exchange for tomato seeds only.

Now I see more and more pest and disease questions being asked in this general discussion Forum rather than the Pest and Disease Forum, and I don't know why. I haven't been to the PEst Forum in a long while and that b'c I spent many years there, along with a few others, answering questions and doing so for sometimes several hours each day.

I figure I've made my contribution as far as pests and diseases go and it's time for others to step up, learn from others and share. There's still the Problem Solver in the Pest Forum which can be and has been helpful to many.

GW is not the main place where I read and post, which is true for some others here as well, but I like to stop by from time to see if there's any threads where I can help/

So please do take a look at the link below re cross pollination. And if you have time, the other articles in the FAQ section.Forget the one about varieties b'c it's way out of date and Tania's website is the best place to go for that IMO, but not for F1 hybrids, with few exceptions, just OP's, some heirlooms, some not and she features pages for way over 3,000 varieties now.

Thanks.

Carolyn

I mention this

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross Pollination