Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bear Claw Tomato

Posted by bigpinks none (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 20:09

Anyone else growing it this yr? Big thread on a another forum about this variety. My neighbor gave me eight plants and I am going to save some seed. His last yr were big and beautiful but I have yet to taste them. They are very similar to Estlers Mortgage Lifter which is my favorite cultivar so far. I love the pinks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bear Claw Tomato

YEs, there is a very long thread about Bear Claw elsewhere but if anyone mentions another message site or links to a thread from another site, last I knew they could be banned from GW. I've asked to confirm that twice and never got a response so I don't link to or mention other message sites here at GW

You read what I said in that other thread and there are many large pink RL varieties I'd grow before I'd grow Bear Claw again. it was first SSE listed in 1984 so has been around quite a while
And I do think the Estler Mortgage Lifter is better than most of the other ML strains, but I'm not so sure it's similar to Bear Claw.

I mean maybe for you but not for me. LOL

Carolyn

o

You are right about it not resembling EML that much. I am growing BC this yr and they are more beefsteak shaped and they are huge and wonderful. And prolific. I like the taste a lot too. So is it a Quisenberry tomato or not? Confused on that issue.

o

I Googled the images. It looks very nice.
How about production and taste ? (just give me your personal opinion, plz.)
I want to grow a beef steak type with avrge. taste and better than avrge. production. So far from Hudson's report I am hooked on Brandy Boy. Too late for this season though. :-(

o

Taste is very good. For a tomato that gets to 40 oz in my garden I would say very prolific. Some of the bottom clusters had three tomatoes all over a pound. I broadcast lots of 6-12-12 when I tilled and then again about 4 weeks later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here