Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnewste

EarthTainer Photo Update May 31 (Pics)

rnewste
15 years ago

Almost forgot with all the hoopla going on here yesterday with Gary Ibsen building his own EarthTainer, that I forgot to post photos of the TOMATOES!! I am seeing an inch per day of new height, on average.

{{gwi:16353}}

The Cherokee Purple is now over 8 feet tall

{{gwi:1338859}}

About 30 fruitset per plant on the Purple Haze

{{gwi:1338861}}

Corn is well over 2 feet high

{{gwi:1338862}}

And the Stupice are really cranking out fruitset

{{gwi:1338863}}

And they have been first to ripen

{{gwi:1338864}}

All in all, not bad for Northern California in late May....

Raybo

Comments (12)

• susaneden
    15 years ago

Raybo--I am so jealous!!!! Your tomatoes look beautiful :D

Here in Z5, we were just able to set out our plants safely this past week.

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susan,

Yep, I know what you mean. Grew up in Rochester and I remember snowstorms in May. Beautiful countryside, but I don't miss the snow.

Raybo

• bingster
    15 years ago

Raybo,

Looking most excellent! Congrats again on your visit with Gary...know that was exciting. Am jealous that you already have ripe tomatoes. Think I screwed up this year by not planting any early varieties. All mine are 73-80 days till harvest so I've still got a week or two to go. How is Stupice for taste??

cheers

bing

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Bing,

The Stupice were a pleasant surprise! Ripe tomatoes in Northern California on May 25. Fruit is just beginning to set on Kimberly (big disappointment). Paul Robeson, Cherokee Purple, JC Special C-Tex all about golf-ball size today. First year growing Stupice, and it will return again next year and also will be taking up the (vacated) Kimberly container! Recommend you give it a try for an "early" next season.

Raybo

• christopher_platt
    15 years ago

Raybo,

I'm at a loss as to how you have an 8 foot tall plant right now. I'm in Salinas, and my tallest is about 3-3 1/2 feet right now. What date did you plant out?

• sumilea2008
    15 years ago

Your setup is Awesome Raybo! Those tomatoes look delicious, you didn't photoshop those red tomatoes did you? :) Keep up the good work, when is that "how to" video going to be released?

Sumilea

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

christopher,

I had started the CP from seed on Nov 1, then when it got to 3 ft tall in the house, I planted it out in the EarthTainer on Feb 11. Never thought it would survive, as we had some low 30 temps several nights, but it did, and I've got several tennis ball sized fruits on it today.

Sumilea, the "how-to" is in editing right now, so in 3 to 4 weeks it should be available.

Here is another shot I took this morning.

{{gwi:1338865}}

Raybo

• bingster
    15 years ago

Hi Raybo,

Thanks for the info on Stupice. Have a couple of questions.

1. Am thinking about changing fertilizer for next year... are you happy with yours and will you stick with it??

2. Know you're using 31 gallon containers and I know they are too heavy to move. So...what are your plans for your soilmix for next year...will you just re-use what you already have in the container or will you add new mix to it??

3. Do you ever have any problems with BER? I always seem to get some.

thanks...your stuff is really looking great!!

Bing

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Bing,

This year I am trialing 2 different fertilizers: Tomato-tone, and Fox Farms.
    {{gwi:1309395}}

I am doing A/B comparisons with one strip in side "A" and the other strip in side "B".
    {{gwi:1309394}}

I have a mechanical barrier between the two plants, so there should be good isolation for the experiments.

Regarding the potting mix "recycling", at the end of the season when I pull the old plants, I intend to add about 1/3 new potting mix, and stir it in. I will do this yearly, and use the mix contained in the root ball elsewhere in the yard. So with the 3 cubic ft. container, I will replace about 1 cubic ft. per season.

As to BER, while it is very early in the season here in Northern California, I have not seen any signs of BER yet. Remember, I mixed in 2 cups of Dolomite Lime in the top 4" of the potting mix, and that is intended to minimize BER from developing. My only problem to date has been the development of some leaves with white powdery mold on North facing branches.

Raybo

• bingster
    15 years ago

Thanks Raybo,

I planted Parks Whopper again this year...had good luck with them last year except they were susceptable to BER. Got it on them again this year. Seem to be the only variety affected. I also used lime...but didn't seem to help, at least with the Whoppers.

cheers

Bing

• rnewste
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bing,

Did you mix the Lime in with the potting mix; or did you just add it into the fertilizer strip? I seem to recall the later.

Also, did you test one side of the container with a lot of drilled aeration holes? I recall you were going to try this "A"/"B" comparison as well. If you were able to get to it, do you see any difference in the plant growth?

I agree with your strategy next year to plant one per 18 gal container. Even in my 31 gal containers, 2 plants seems to be too dense.

Raybo

• bingster
    15 years ago

Raybo,

Must admit I was behind schedule (and lazy) and just laid the lime in the fert strip...that might be some of the problem. I did do the A/B comparison on drilled holes and so far I can't see any difference in growth from one box to the next. One interesting note though...I am getting roots coming out my drainage holes in a couple of boxes so there's no doubt that at least some of the roots do make it into the water reservoir whether one uses screening material between the soil mix and the drilled holes, or not. I used landscape material beneath all my soil mix.

Interesting you say that your 31 gal isn't big enough for two plants...would have thought that would be plenty big enough.

cheers

bing