Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Brother on the seed sharing front....

Posted by mjhuntingtonbeach 10b (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 20:27

And I thought Obamacare was massive - I just thought I would share a headline I came across today. The EU is apparently trying to set up a multinational European agency that would make saving seeds illegal and require that all seeds be approved by this massive unelected multinational quasi-governmental agency. Never thought I would see the day, jailed for saving tomato seeds :-(

"BREAKING: European Commission to criminalize nearly all seeds and plants not registered with government

A new law proposed by the European Commission would make it illegal to "grow, reproduce or trade" any vegetable seeds that have not been "tested, approved and accepted" by a new EU bureaucracy named the "EU Plant Variety Agency."

It's called the Plant Reproductive Material Law, and it attempts to put the government in charge of virtually all plants and seeds. Home gardeners who grow their own plants from non-regulated seeds would be considered criminals under this law."

If this were April 1, I would have thought this was a joke.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Brother on the seed sharing front....

What is the source of this information, the citation for your quote?

Source often goes a long way toward determining the validity of a claim.

Dave

o

I wish I could give you a link to the"other" place,but I can't b'c of restrictions here at GW, where many from Europe who might be affected have posted. There are new additions to that proposed legislation and it's clear that home hobby growers will not be affected, only large scale commercial growers.

The European Union has been under some restrictions for many years now, but the guidelines have n't been well followed, this this new attempt.

And i tlooks like individual countries will have the option to opt out, as well.

Withone exception, links have beenrprovided at any messsage site where I might read and the question has been asked if such an issue might come up here in the US, and the answer to date, has been no.

Carolyn

o

Of course we've had that sort of thing in the "People's Republic of California" for quite some time now.

I noticed when I was shopping for tomato plants, that several out of state vendors, said they could not ship to California, there were a couple of other states too, but I do not recall them.

Course "We have to protect" our California plants, don't we?

Gary (a California Native).

o

The first site which comes up when searching a substantial quotation from the third paragraph of mjhuntingtonbeach's post is Natural News -- which in my experience prefers sensationalism over accuracy.

http://www.naturalnews.com/040214_seeds_European_Commission_registration.html

o

Yes, I was hesitant to post a link, having heard Carolyn's comments on that topic before. I found the cite missingtheobvious notes via Drudge, and for everyone's sake I certainly hope it is sensationalism. But I have to say, I put nothing past big government. Life would not be fun if we couldn't save and exchange seeds for interesting varieties of plants :)

o

The European "White List" severely restricted the varieties of seeds offered by commercial seed houses in Europe, due to the cost of registering varieties legal for sale. As I understand it, the list was supposed to be a way to combat fraudulent misrepresentation of seeds sold across country borders.

The Thompson and Morgan catalogue was intriguing before it came out. A lot of their offerings disappeared when the law was passed. It would be a shame if even more restrictive laws were passed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here