Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Is this good mulch for tomatoes?

thebutcher
10 years ago

I kind of made a mistake in trying to get Pine Bark Fines/mulch for container 5-1-1 mix, but it could be the people at the nursary that made the mistake since the receipt said Pine Bark.

My delima is that I really don't want to return it now (My car is still in the shop and don't want others to think I made a mess up that I am bringing the container too with the proper soiless mix. Plus it would cost about $25 in gas money to return them and half a day.)

But out of the 10 bags, I could make use of at least 2 bags for my mother's flowers and I am growing about 20 Tomato plants in-ground in 2 rows (aprox 30 ft per row) and other vegtables in-ground where I have extra room.

My question is this, can I use this as the top layer as mulch for my tomatoes instead of hay or other mulch? (I think I will stake them or a Florida weave technique and maybe some in cages). The tomatoes are 4th of july, Ramapo, Black Krim & Kellogg Yellow Beefsteak. Along with some peppers

Photo is below. It is Dark Mulch. Even though I spent about $50 I think I could find use for it and give a few bags to a neighbor.

Irnoicly the receipt said Pine bark and others think there is no pine in there but sap wood. Oh well, I am just trying to make the best of it and I found what I really need for $30 5 miles away from me.

Sorry for double post, but I can't figure out how to do 2 photos, and I think the label would help as well as the actual content.

Thanks all in advanced,

- Mr Beno