Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato cutting...will it grow?

Posted by Flying_V_Goddess none (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 20:36

Hi. First time posting, but I've been getting advice on these forums for a few weeks now.

Third year starting plants from seeds and I've had such amazing results. But my plants got too big for the grow box I made so I had to build a new one. While putting the seedlings in the new box I broke off the top of the tomato plant. All the leaves were on this broken piece so the plant ended up dying.

Knowing that tomatoes will grow roots along their stem if they're buried I planted this broken piece in soil. And its actually begun to grow roots and it hasn't shriveled up. But I'm wondering if there's a good chance that it can grow into a full sized tomato plant or if I'm just wasting my time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato cutting...will it grow?

Yup you just successfully cloned your old tomato plant (if it survives).

The plant will get just as big as it would from seed. Maybe even a bit bushier. I clone my tomatoes about mid season so i have some fresh tomatoes for late in the year.

Congrats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here