Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Issues

Posted by SweetPea2909 7b/8 NC (My Page) on
Wed, May 30, 12 at 21:06

I've noticed alot of people having tomato issues similar to mine... leaf curl and spots etc.

I'm interested in what types/varieties of tomatoes, what brand (i.e. Bonnie plants or ?) to see if there are any similarities.

I have an organic raised bed of tomatoes interplanted with basil. My basil is doing better than any other year yet these tomatoes aren't doing well. They were Bonnie transplants from Lowe's and all are heirloom varieties. There are 6-8 plants and not the same variety and all are having issues. They are blooming well but have wilt/curl and black spots and yellowing. They have been fed once with Miracle-Gro tomato food and have been in the ground right at 5 weeks.

This is my first year with the Bonnie plants and I've never had any issues in previous years other than tomato/tobacco hornworms.

My pics are at: https://picasaweb.google.com/103591688653909288339/Tomatoes

Here is a link that might be useful: My tomatoes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Issues

Forgot to mention that the problem was showing before the feeding with Miracle-Gro.

o
RE: Tomato Issues

What I see on some of the leaves looks to me like TSWV ( Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus) infection and it's been a bad year for that in NC, that I know.

The problems is not Bonnie plants, the problem is that there are thrips in your area that are causing the infection.

So I suggest either going to the Pest and Disease Forum here at GW and pulling down one of the disease sites, TAMU or Cornell are good, or better still going straight to Google and entering Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus, so you can learn more about it.

Not all of the pictures showed the spotted leaves, but several of them did.

Hope that helps.

Carolyn, whose best tomato friend lives in NC as well as two others who do seed production for her as well as her brother.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here