Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedlings W/ Thin Leaves (very thin)

Posted by Stellabee 7, Atlanta (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 21:08

I sprouted some tomato seeds in a medium that I don't normally use-spagnum moss. The seedlings seem very unhealthy with leaves that are less than paper thin. If I put these suffering little plants in the ground, might they get better and start to thrive or should I not expect them to recover and become healthy plants?

Thanks & Please Advise!

Stella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedlings W/ Thin Leaves (very thin)

Photo please if possible. Otherwise, given the limited information provided, it may be perfectly normal and just new to you. And the name of the variety please. Some varieties normally have very thin wispy leaves.

Dave

o

Hi Dave,

I don't have a photo right now. It's a bit dark, as it's early morning here in Atlanta. The varieties that I'm noticing this with are Matt's Wild Cherry and Yellow Pear. The other tomatoes (Cherokee Purple, Eva Purple Ball, & Green Zebra) don't seem much better. They all have the thin leaf issue going on to some extent...

I have sprouted seeds before in organic soil mix I bought at the store and had no issues in the past. I guess I should have stuck with what worked for me.

In any case, I'm hoping these thin leafed plants might be able to get better in the ground where there are nutrients. I have this funny feeling though that they might be stunted somehow-pretty mad at myself for not being practical and fixing what was not broken.

Thank you for your quick response, Dave.

Stella

o

How are your the growing conditions?
I find that low light intensity conditions can cause some plants to have thin leaves, but the leaves are wider/broader than normal. If this is the case, be careful hardening them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here