Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
difference between tomatoes

Posted by kelsojoe idaho (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 12 at 21:14

i grew two different types of tomatoes cherry tomato and a burpee big boy and my lables got washed off or somthing and i dont know the difference in the two of them and one type about 5-7 inches tall and the other is about 3-5 inches tall right now and i was wondering if any one could help me identify the two

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: difference between tomatoes

There is no way to no for sure if they have the same type leaf until they produce some fruit. Then you will know.

But in general cherry tomato plants grow faster than non-cherry types so IF they are about the same age the taller one is most likely the cherry.

Dave

o

ok thank you

o

Well, you _might_ be able to tell the difference between which are cherries and which are not cherries... So maybe you might be able to pick out the big boy from the rest.

The cherries I grow generally have smaller and firmer foliage. Even without tags, I can pick them out. Of the seedlings I grow, cherries and paste types are the most easily singled out of the mix; Cherries are as described above and pastes (the ones I grow) are very flimsy looking.

You'll definitely know at the time of flowering though, cherry flowers are significantly smaller and often more numerous.

o

Easy to tell ,wait a few weeks

o

I would think the flowers for the cherry tomato would be in clusters of 6+ while the big boy would only have maybe 2 flowers per cluster.

basically the cherries will LOTS of flowers while the big boy significantly less.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here