Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suncitylinda

Broke top off determinate

suncitylinda
11 years ago

I have a Rutgers, which I have never grown before but Dave and many others rave about them. Accidentilly, I broke off the growing tip. I have almost no experience with determinates and dont know if I should still plant it? Will one of the side shoots take over, as an indeterminate would? Thanks, LInda

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Most Rutgers seed and plants sold any more are indeterminate. Are you sure yours in the older determinate variety?

Dave

• tomatovator21
    11 years ago

It does not really matter what type you have. If you plant it a sucker will take over if it is Ind and if it is Det it will be fine as well.

• suncitylinda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Seed pack says it is, hardly definative LOL and has plenty of side growth. I was able to buy a good size Rutgers at the Nursery so I will get to grow it. Normally, if you chop the top off a determinate is it a gonner? I am just starting to grow them. Thanks, LInda

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Normally, if you chop the top off a determinate is it a gonner?

Not at all if it has already developed lateral branches below the break. You will still get production from them. It will just be a really short plant with no new side branches developing further up.

If it hasn't already produced lower lateral branches then yes, yes it is essentially done for.

Determinates don't produces "suckers". They are all terminal end branches so none of them 'take over' for the main stem as an indeterminate would. But rooting the terminal end that broke off is a waste of time. That is why I asked which it was.

Dave

• suncitylinda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. Maybe I will grow the worlds shortest Rutgers. =)

• homegardenpa
    11 years ago

"Most Rutgers seed and plants sold any more are indeterminate."

Quick question Dave - I recall from previous discussions that you grow Rutgers most years, as do I. I went through a few different trials before I found the a plant that was more like what I recall my father growing as a kid.

I got the seed from Victory seeds and I was pleased with the results and have grown it every year since, but... Even though it's listed as determinate, it seems to be more of a semi-determinate in that it keeps producing well after the initial fruit ripening. I've grown some determinates that are more like what I'd call true determinates, that get all their fruit within about 2 weeks and then just sit there - Rutgers in my experience doesn't appear to be one of those.

I was just wondering, based off of your comment, if that's the same case for you.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

if that's the same case for you.

To a degree, depending on the seed source I use, and I have tried many, including selecting and saving my own. But I find it is almost impossible anymore to find the true determinate seed from any vendors - even when they label it as such.

JMO but I think that as the variety has stabilized over the years most of the seed has reverted or adapted to more of an indeterminate growth pattern. Rather than a determinate or semi-determinate type of fruit set and cropping, its a continuous cropping and the growth patterns are usually true vine indeterminate - height, lateral branch development, node lengths, etc.

But I haven't been overly concerned about it as the production and flavor remains true. I just don't count on it being determinate even when it is labeled as such.

Dave

• suncitylinda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So, I guess I WON'T be growing the shortest Rutgers in the World. LOL