Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far apart should my tomato plants be from corn?

Posted by kurango 10a (My Page) on
Sat, May 7, 11 at 21:30

In the book "Carrots Love Tomatoes" it says "Don't plant tomatoes near corn because the tomato and corn earworm are identical."

My question is . . .

1. How far apart should they be? A few feet? Several yards? Not in the same yard? Next county over?
TIA,
Kathi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far apart should my tomato plants be from corn?

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Sat, May 7, 11 at 22:11

I have had my corn as close as 6 feet from my tomatoes, and never had a problem with it. We do get an occassional corn earworm, but I have not seen them on the tomatoes, they do seem to prefer the corn.

Trust me, if you have a worm that will eat a tomato, and it will also eat corn, even if you have them 100 yards (or more!) apart, you'll probably have them on both since the parent moths can migrate from one state to another.

So go ahead and plant them next to each other, just make sure you have room for your self and possibly some equipment between them.

If you see signs of the corn earworm / tomato fruitworm / cotton bollworm, spray with Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) to control them. You can also apply 5 drops of mineral oil or corn oil (apply only once) to corn ear tips when the silks begin to turn brown. Any worms that survive that treatment can be cut away along with the damaged corn when it is prepared for cooking.

I hope that helps.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Corn Earworm

o

Already answered on your duplicate post of this question on the Vegetable forum. I suggested you might want to check in with the folks on the Companion Planting forum instead since they subscribe to those beliefs.

Personally my corn grows right next to my tomato plants and has for years with no problems.

Dave

o

And I already answered your question in great detail at another message site, pointing out that your plants don't even need to be near any corn at all in order to get tomato fruitworm, which is the same as Corn Earworm.

I also suggested that you Google a bit to satisfy your concerns and suggested using Tomato Fruitworm to start with and also linked you to a site to start with.

I also made a few comments about info in that book and being an old lady I read the first edition so many years ago it's hard to remember when. LOL Tried some of the companion plantings suggested but was not at all impressed, probably since I used controls so could directly assess what might have worked.

Carolyn, who admits that she is not a fan of companion planting. Sigh.

o

A few feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here