Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaves yellow with brown spot (with pics)

Posted by maggersmagoo z10 CA (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 21:32

Two of my three tomato plants are developing yellow leaves, some with brown spots, and some browning and dying all together.

Any ideas what the problem is, and how to fix it? I don't think I am overwatering, the soil is slightly damp, but by no means soggy. The sprinklers I have are misting type, so the foliage does get wet when watered.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaves yellow with brown spot (with pics)

Sorry but your pics won't load for me.

Misters are going to be problematic.

Try this post from the Tomato Pests and disease forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Help

o

Can't see your pics either - they won't load here - but misted foliage is a great breeding ground for fungal diseases. "Yellow with brown spots" could be several things including overwatering as the soil by no means needs to be even damp all the time.

Try reloading your pictures so we can be of more help. ;)

Dave

o

Okay, maybe you can click on this link and look at the album:

I checked the soil again, I don't know if I would even say its damp. It's not bone dry, but its not wet.

If it is a fungus, will a fungicide help, or it won't work because of the foliage getting wet?

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo Album

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, May 20, 08 at 2:15

Stop the misting. Instead, water at ground level.

o

Whoa, pick off all spotty leaves and destroy, apply Daconil, stop watering from above or misting, mulch. Ease off on any nitrogen fertilizers. It's not too late.

o

So its definitely a fungus? I noticed today that the yellow leaves have taken over a large part of the middle plant. What percentage of the leaves can I tear off and not damage the plant or the fruit (it has begun setting fruit)?

Is Daconil better than the Ortho brand garden fungus spray? Do they carry it at Home Depot?

I do have mulch, and the only time I fertilized was when I planted them, so I guess I just need to turn off the sprinkler and drag the hose out.

o

So its definitely a fungus? I noticed today that the yellow leaves have taken over a large part of the middle plant. What percentage of the leaves can I tear off and not damage the plant or the fruit (it has begun setting fruit)?
Is Daconil better than the Ortho brand garden fungus spray? Do they carry it at Home Depot?

Ortho Garden Disease Control is Daconil ( chlorothalonil) and if you do get it you want the 29% active ingredient one b'c different concentrations are sold. There are other brands as well but always get the ones with 29% Daconil before dilution.

I looked at the pictures carefully, especially the last two, and I'm not entirely convinced that it's fungal in nature. It could be Bacterial Spot. I think part of the problem is lighting and photos since sometimes the spots look black and other times brown and some are kinda blurry.

If I were you I'd Google the four major foliage pathogens which are:

Early Blight (A.solani)
Septoria Leaf Spot
Bacterial Spot
Bacterial Speck

.....and see if you can match up some pictures. You can also go to Google, select IMAGES, and individually enter those diseases with the word tomato also includeed.

If it's bacterial then Daconil is of no use and you have to use a copper containing product such as Kocide or similar.

Carolyn

o

I took some more photos today, the lighting was a little better. I looked over the plant again too, and the problem seems to be starting from the edges of the leaves. They are turning brown and drying up. Some of the leaves then get spots in the middle. You can see from the new pics, some leaves are brown on the edges, but the leaves are still green.

I didn't notice any more leaves with the small brown specs like the last two photos I posted yesterday. I'll have to look again for those.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here