chao_gw

A tomato that has a lot of acid

chao
14 years ago

Which varieties of tomatoes have the most acid. Red

Comments (18)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Most acidic taste? That is a matter of personal taste buds. ;) Check out the previous discussion linked below on this question.

Most titratable acidity of the fruit itself? The range for all tomatoes is 4.0-4.6 so not much difference.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoes with acidic flavor discussion

• pennyrile
    14 years ago

Pusa Ruby, an open pollinated tomato popular in India, is among the most sour tomatoes for which you can commonly get seeds. There are a few hybrids and open pollinated breeding lines available from Indian companies that give improved yields over Pusa Ruby and still have the distinctly sour flavor profile. Most of them also are good heatsetters.

Sour tomatoes like Pusa Ruby generally are used in various Indian and Southeast Asian cooked dishes and condiment sauces rather than used for fresh eating.

• mulio
    14 years ago

what kind of acid?

the kind pennyrile enjoyed at Berkley parties?

if you want a tart tomato try the high vitamin types like CaroRed or CaroRich.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

Any idea where to get Pasa Ruby seeds? I'm intrigued.

• missingtheobvious
    14 years ago

Sand Hill Preservation Center [good people]

Tatiana's TomatoBase [haven't bought from her, but it's a wonderful site, and she posts here; she's also based in Canada if that's helpful]

Tanager Song Farm [see their name occasionally, but don't know anything about them]

• brainsander
    14 years ago

Try Sioux. Most people describe it as a "high acid" tomato. I consider it to be very good tasting no matter how much "acid" it has, and it makes it's way into at least one of my 'mater patches most years. I've never been good at deciphering acidic vs. sweet undertones in tomatoes, though. Lots of people say Jetstar is "low acid", and I don't get that either, but i think it is quite tasty. I will say that I prefer Sioux over Jetstar. Maybe I do like my tomatoes with a little acid. How trippy... But do try Sioux. You can get seeds at heirloomseeds.com and Sandhill Preservation.

• carolyn137
    14 years ago

Chao, I'm thinking that you probably mean not high acid, rather, a variety that has a stronger more aggressive taste and one group of varieties that you might look at are the older commercial varieties such as:

Valiant
    New Yorker
    Manalucie
    Break O Day, a fave of mine
    WI 55
    Rutgers

..... to name a few, and if you really want an almost spit out try Sandpoint, available at Sandhill and that variety has nada to do with Sandhill, although Glenn disagrees with me. LOL Or try the original Tigerella, aka the original Mr Stripey, which is a small red with jagged gold stripes.

Carolyn, who says Hi to Brian, aka Brain in the above post; wish you posted more Brian. ( smile)

• dkmarsh
    14 years ago

Perhaps chao is looking for a tomato which is "high acid" for canning purposes, since "low acid" tomatoes are insufficiently acidic to be canned with a boiling water canner and require a pressure canner instead.

• jessicavanderhoff
    14 years ago

Thank you, missing the obvious. I have ordered from sandhill before, so may order them if I do another sandhill order.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

"high acid" for canning purposes, since "low acid" tomatoes are insufficiently acidic to be canned with a boiling water canner and require a pressure canner instead.

Sorry but current NCHFP/USDA guidelines allow for BWB canning of tomatoes - pressure canning is optional.

All tomatoes, regardless of variety, are treated as low-acid when it comes to home canning because all varieties fall below the safe pH acidity level. Thus the requirement since 1970 to add either bottled lemon juice or citric acid regardless of the processing method used.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning tomatoes and tomato products guidelines

• catman529
    14 years ago

I grew the variety "Hank" last year; it was definitely a more acidic-tasting variety. Very seedy though; I decided I didn't like it and I'm not planning on growing it again. But the acidity was good and strong, at least for my taste buds.

• chao
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We grew Rutgers when I was a kid. It has the taste I am after. I have some Rutgers planted this year.Also planted Rampo. We also used to plant Marion or Manaluci I cant rember which one.Thank yall very much for your help. I have 25 varieties planted this year. I will know more later. Red

• dkmarsh
    14 years ago

@ digdirt:

Thanks for the clarification, Dave

-Dave

• pennyrile
    14 years ago

Another tomato that I think has a very strong acid bite is Bolseno hybrid from Johnny's Selected Seed. It's also a heavy producer on a unbelievably rampant vine. The tomatoes are about baseball size and flawless.

An heirloom type tomato that for me had surprising acid bite was Daniels, which otherwise looked and grew pretty much like Brandywine Sudduth.

• crabby0358
    8 years ago

for great tasting acid akinator Kimikoyou can get a Atkins very tasty

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

As mentioned before the REAL ACIDITY it not the same as acidic tasting.

The reason for this is the brix (sugar content). So a tomato can have good amount of acid and at the same time taste sweet too. A balanced tomato will have a combination of acidity and sweetness.

But for fresh eating it is easy to make it tangy : Just add few drops of good vinegar or lemon juice. OIL n VINEGAR dressing !!!

Sey

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    8 years ago

My tomatoes routinely test pH 4.1 at canning without adding anything to it. Am not sure what this all recq about. Brix I have on most tomatoes 8 so we have ways to improve. Most of varieties I choose recommended as sweet- I like it the most.