Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth_gw

How to plant a patio tomato

downsouth
9 years ago

I have always wanted to grow tomatoes in a container, so this year will be my first one.

My questions are:

1. What kind of soil do I buy?
2. Do I need to put gravel in the bottom for drainage?
3. What type of tomato plant do I need to buy, or does it matter? I want a bigger tomato plant than the cherry tomatoes.
4. What kind of fertilizer do I need and how often do you fertilize and water?

Thanks so much, Dee

Comments (8)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

1- Use SOIL LESS potting mix, with perlite in it.
    2- You don't have to put a layer of gravel. I would put just a hand full next to the drainage holes.
    3- Depending on the container size, you can plant just about any kind you like, provide you support it. But I would use BUSH type. They can even come in BEEF STEAK size. The next best size would be DETERMINAT type that will grow about 3 foot tall(or shorter). There are many choices.

4- Any fertilizer that is said is fortomatoes, peppers. I use MG Skae n Feed. It is a slow release wit Calcium and Magnesium. Just mix some of it into your potting mix, if if does noe come with fertilizer already. You can also use water soluble all purpose fertilizer

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

There are many resources out there, but the university of Ohio extension has a good short summary covering many container vegetables. Note pot size recommendations, a big enough pot will save much trouble later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Container Vegetable Gardening

• DHLCAL
    9 years ago

For a beginner, I'd keep things simple:

1. Buy a "potting mix" and not "garden soil" from the garden center. This is because the potting mix is typically made of lighter material (peat moss, bark, etc.) while "garden soil" has heavier material (sand, topsoil, etc.).

The heavier stuff tends to compact the container and not leave enough room for the roots.

2. Gravel layer actually doesn't help with drainage at all.

3. There are some tomatoes that don't grow very tall/large and may be good for containers, but you can actually grow really huge plants in a container as long as you use a big container and provides trellis/cage/stake for their support.

One note: Don't use one of those cheap wire cone cages with a big plant unless you can tie it to a fence or something permanent. When the plants grow big, these cones tend to tip over. There are many options, both for purchase and for home-making.

4. There are a bunch of tomato fertilizers solid at any market. Pretty much any of then would work. I just use the water soluble Miracle Grow.

5. One note: I would advice using a bigger container (15 gallon and up). More room for the roots and for water. Also, in a hot summer the container doesn't heat up as fast, causing stress on the plants.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

That is a good summary, DHLCAL.

Maybe suggest an Early Girl as a first "full size" variety?

• DHLCAL
    9 years ago

Here's a link from University of Georgia with some suggested varieties. I figure these probably grow OK in your climate.

Early Girl and Celebrity are probably good "beginner" tomatoes with good production and disease resistance and also widely available at Home Depot, Lowes and even Walmart. But if you have the space, try some different ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: UGA Extension

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Since growing in containers and in the ground are such different methods - regardless of what you grow - why not check out the Container Gardening forum here? Lots of tomato growers there with growing in pots experience that can advise on pot size, feeding and watering as well as recommend varieties they have used.

What type of tomato plant do I need to buy, or does it matter? I want a bigger tomato plant than the cherry tomatoes.

Do keep in mind that plant size and fruit size don't match. Cherry tomato plants are some of the biggest plants out there and some very small plants produce really big fruit.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Container gardening forum

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

To keep potting mix from escaping out those large drainholes, rather than use gravel -- which actually causes drainage problems -- here are some other options:

= Buy a roll of fiberglass drywall tape and put a few square inches of that over the holes. The roll I bought is adhesive-backed.

= Go to a crafts or fabric store and buy a sheet of plastic embroidery canvas. Cut a square a couple of inches wider than the hole and set it above the hole. (Or if you're worried about the canvas moving when you put the mix in, use a bit of masking tape to fasten it where you want it.)

The largest plants are Indeterminates (aka "vine types"). Shorter are Determinates (aka "bush types"). Even smaller are Dwarfs; some of these are "tree types" and need little support; the dwarfs I've grown have been happy in 5 gallon containers.

Whatever and wherever you grow, use mulch around your plants.

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

I am going to be the oddball for suggestions on this one.

For your zone, and the heat that is coming on I would advise to buy the large plant in the container with the basket on the container. Price is somewhere in the area of $15 add a box of MG Tomato fertilizer you are set for the year. The Bonnie Plants Bush Goliath is a good one. It will bear a large number of slicer sized tomatoes from a compact plant.

Also when the season ends you keep the planter for use next season. My dad grew the Patio type from Bonnie last year. It did great even in his shaded yard getting only 4 hours of direct sunlight. It was giving off a constant supply of small slicer sized tomatoes all summer.

I started with a Bush Goliath in the planter. It was $14.95. Due to my wife putting it on top of the picnic table, and 40+ MPH wind knocking it off, and rolling it across the yard I had to plant it in the ground. In the 6 or so weeks since then it survived a hail storm, and 3 freezes. (Note I covered it up when it froze.) It has more fruits than I care to try to count set, and tons of blooms opened up every day I check it.

In the planter I replaced the Goliath with a Husky Cherry red. It has been heavily pruned by a hail storm, and is fruiting like crazy. I do not know how many of the cherries my wife has already taken off of it. For some reason they never seem to make from the garden into the house.

For suggestions for container plants that do well in a not so huge container I would suggest checking on these:

1. Patio (This one tends to as I have seen give of a few fruits at a time all season, as opposed to all at once.)
    2. Better Bush (I have 3 planted out. I ate the first ripe slicer sized tomato of the season off of one today.) All have set fruit with more setting every day.
    3. Bush Goliath (The one I have is very Bushy, quite hardy, and is setting fruit like mad.)
    4. Husky Cherry Red (It stays compact, gets quite bushy, is hardy. It will set fruit when all the others have stalled in the heat. Put it somewhere it will get a tad of shade after 5 in the afternoon during the dog days, and you will be snacking down on cherries every day.)

All can be purchased at your local Home Depot or Lowe's in the large caged container. I think they are a better value this late into the season. Most are already blooming, and large. Many have a few fruit already set on them as well. You do not have to buy a container, or potting mix. It has already been taken care of. All you have to do is put it somewhere sunny, water it when it needs it being careful not to over water it. Give it a bit of fertilizer as directed on the label of said fertilizer. Maker sure you water the medium, not the leaves. Keep the water off the leaves it will do a lot for your plant to keep the leaves dry, and the soil moist. Other than that all you have to do is harvest the ripe fruits. You will also get to keep the planter to use next year as well.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH