Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomandjerrygardener

Tomato Support

What is the best way to support a tomato plant? Last year I tried the Florida weave, but it was a disaster because I went to China for a month. This year I'll be going to California, so what's the best limited care way of supporting tomatoes. Should I stake, cage, or should I try this bean supporter, pic provided.

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Here you go - lots of discussions about this question, several of them currently running.

Dave

edited to correct spelling so it makes sense

Here is a link that might be useful: Cage/stake discussions

This post was edited by digdirt on Wed, May 14, 14 at 10:42

• seysonn
    9 years ago

For your situation (not being able to attend ) caging is the best alternative, IMO. Make sure you use Big, Tall and Sturdy cages made of CRW or similar material. Even the biggest and strongest 3-Ring cages are not tall , wide and strong enough for the INDETS. But maybe OK for small DETS.

I am using a combination: Some cages (from past) for Bush and DETS. For the rest I am doing a combination of staking and weaving. And plus, doing pruning too. So this require ongoing attendance and care.

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

TomAndJerryGardener, you can also check the Greenhouses & Garden Structures section of this forum.

• nocdavis
    9 years ago

So far the below link for the indestructible tomato trellis is working wonders for me. It's cheap and easy - 1/2" EMT metal conduit and nylon string.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Tomato Trellis

• ddsack
    9 years ago

Well, I use and love trellis support myself. But the key information in your original post is that you were gone for a month last year, and will be gone again this year (tho maybe not that long?). Any kind of trellis will need maintenance and weaving or tying up the vines on a frequent basis. If no one will be around to do this for you, I think the tall sturdy cages are your best bet.

• TomAndJerryGardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for you replies. I guess I'll try caging this year, but hopefully it'll be better than last year. I might even try the indestructible tomato trellis, it seems quite appealing. Thank you all of you.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

TRELLIS: is not for everyone, me thinks.
    Unlike CAGE, STEAK, trellising method is a kind of FIXED method. You can remove cages and steak at the end of season and do it in different arrangement the next year. But with trellis it is not practical to move it every season. This is especially true if you use things like heavy gage cattle panel or CRW. So trellising is more suitable for someone who has a good acreage for gardening.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

I think I might do the EMT conduit thing, with 2x4 stands to make it work on a patio. So I checked my hand me down toolbox to make sure I had a tubing cutter ... looks like my dad knew a yard sale deal when he saw it :-)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Probably that tool is for cutting copper tubing. Can cut PVC too, but EMT (steel) ? I am not sure. You can use a hacksaw instead.

But aside from HOW TO CUT, EMT is a good choice as steak. You will need to develop an especial process to make cage out of it.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

Could be that it is too small, or soft.

I am space constrained, and plan on doing kind of a greenhouse technique in future, with grow bags and plants trained to a stem or two. This year it is just for the part over the ~40" cages.

Amazing that [oops 10'] of steel tube costs the same as 8' of 2x2!

This post was edited by johns.coastal.patio on Thu, May 15, 14 at 13:37