Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catsnrabs

That Darn Near Killed Me..

Deeby
9 years ago

I found some baby tomatoes eaten halfway through and two hornworms. I bought mesh bags at a craft store and bagged the rest of the tomatoes. Tonight I'll drench with insecticidal soap but I hate to. It says it won't harm leaves but it does. I'm too tired anymore. I think from now on I'll just do miniature plants under mesh picnic domes. Or frequent farmers markets.

Comments (13)

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Deeby

I'm so sorry your tomatoes got eaten, it is upsetting to go through all the work of preparing and planting and have some upstart bug get the fruits of your labors.
    Please don't get discouraged and give up.
    There are all sorts of choices in coping with insects and critters from insecticide to just growing enough so they get some and you get some.

• planterjeff
    9 years ago

I don't know if the insecticidal soap will do much for the worms. I had a similar issue last year, and you are right about the soap burning leaves. I actually used Safer soap and it burned my pepper plants pretty bad and did nothing for the worms. BUT with that said, I used a heavy dose of BT and it took care of the worms within a couple days. That will not burn your leaves and targets only the worms that are eating your plant. It is to my understanding that the soap is only for soft shelled creatures as it breaks down their exoskeletons. This probably wouldn't do much to the worms.

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear. I'd go with the BT if the worms are too many find and pick off.

I'm fighting by hand, but I did notice I have a little finch helping me. He hops into the bushes and turns his head, eyeing under every leaf.

• CaraRose
    9 years ago

I don't think soap works on worms (might smother eggs that are unhatched). I'd go BT.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Agree with Jeff and John. Skip the soap and save it for aphids and whitelflies. BT K variant is what you want -- very target specific(caterpillars), organic, and won't harm beneficials. It isn't effective on large, mature cats, but give a weekly spray for the 1st couple weeks and bi-weekly after that. Try to find the big ones and hand pick.

Available at any garden center -- thuricide, dipel, and caterpillar killer are 3 names it goes by.

Btw, insecticidal soap should be rinsed off after a few hours. best to apply at dusk and rinse in the morning. And like ALL pesticides, should not be applied when the temp is >80F or the sum of the temp and relative humidity is >140.

If you find a hornworm that looks like it does in the link, clip leaf off and relocate. Those white eggs will emerge to more wasps to parasitize more hornworms.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: parasitized hornworm

• lucillle
    9 years ago

To show you that insanity is alive and well in the world, I've included a link to a company that actually SELLS hornworms.

Maybe those who have critters that eat hornworms could come over and inspect your gardens daily for a while, you're happy, they're happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hornworms

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

"To show you that insanity is alive and well in the world, I've included a link to a company that actually SELLS hornworms."

I think it's great that some people still appreciate nature. Note that these come with their own food source! I think that hornworms are beautiful - just not when they are eating my tomato plants.

I prefer to hand-pick them than to use any chemicals in my garden.

Linda

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Linda: BT isn't a chemical; it's a bacteria. VERY target specific and can be sprayed up until day of harvest. It's the one pesticide that remains a constant in my arsenal along with beneficial insects. Trying to find hornworms on a 12 foot tomato plant is quite the task. Hell! trying to find them on a FOUR footer is difficult! I nip it in the bud -- spray every 2-3 weeks from May on and I don't have to search for them.

I agree though-- the hawk and sphinx moths are pretty cool looking.

Kevin

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Yes I realize that BT is "natural", but the stink is enough to put me off spraying it on my food crops!

A friend had a big Sungold which had been half eaten my Hornworms last summer. We managed to find them (think of it as a puzzle!) and her daughter offered them to the chickens, but the chickens weren't interested!

Linda

• Deeby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I still think my tomato growing days except for mini's are over. Just too much for my back anymore.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

Linda, I'm surprised to hear that your friend's chickens weren't interested in the hormworms. I think mine spend their winter days dreaming about hornworm snacks to come. (And of course they've never gone lacking yet!) LOL!!!

Edie

• Mike
    9 years ago

Hey Deeby,

It's probably too late now and BT would be your best immediate option. Although for next year as preventative maintenance:
    Plant Petunias, Thyme and Borage around the garden liberally.. They are natural repellents to the hornworm... Dill is also an option but you have to be careful; Young dill will enhance health and growth, while mature dill actually stunts growth.. If you were to go with it you'd have to be sure to chop them before maturation.. With that being said, it'd probably be best to stick with the former recommendations..
    -Mike

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

Oh Edie,

You mean that my friend's chickens were unusual in not eating the hornworms? I assumed that it was because they had dined on tomato foliage which is poisonous. My goldfish didn't like hornworms either when I threw them in the pond one year! Free food is free food. Why are they so picky? Sigh!

Linda

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro