Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky137

Dolomite for tomatoes

becky137
16 years ago

I bought a bag of Turfking pelletized dolomite lime for my tomato containers and now I'm not sure I got the right kind of dolomite. It isn't plain dolomite, it also has magnesium. The store had some that was plain, I got this one because it's a 25 lb bag instead of 40 lb. I can return it, still have the receipt. Should I get some that is only dolomite or will this work? I don't want to use the wrong thing.

Thanks,

Becky

Comments (6)

• timmy1
    16 years ago

That will be fine, the mag is good too.

pelletized lime just has a cement coating on it that melts when it gets wet. less messy than the ground dolomitic limestone.

Stay away from hydrated lime(calcium hydroxide) in the spring as it can burn.

• becky137
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks timmy1. I'm so glad I don't have to lug the dang thing back to the store. I want to get these tomatoes planted already. Tomorrow after work we'll get the containers ready and filled with soil, then put the tomatoes in Saturday morning for their first day in their new homes.

• lumierefrere
    16 years ago

Dolomite is Calcium Magnesium Carbonate. Plain or fancy, that's what it is.

• crabjoe
    16 years ago

If you're looking to give your plants some Magnesium, why not just use Epsom salt (Magnesium sulfate)?

I know when I use Epsom salt around my plants, they green up like and grow like crazy!!

• bobb_2002
    16 years ago

Becky,
    Limestone is a great pH increaser, so if you have acidic soil or water it is good to use. My well water pH is about 4.5 and the rain is not much better sometimes, so I have to use large amounts of limestone on the lawn and garden. But if your soil is neutral or alkaline it would be better to use a little Epsom salt instead of limestone.
    Bob B.

• becky137
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well . . . I was planning to use mix dolomite in my container mix to give my tomatoes calcium as suggested to me earlier in another thread. My question was whether it was okay to use dolomite that also had magnesium in it. I found both with and without magnesium listed in the ingredients or whatever you call it, but the kind without came in a 40 lb bag and the kind with was a 25 lb bag and that's what I bought. I have Epsom salts, used to use it with water soluble calcium in my planted aquarium (before I tore out all my hair and went to plastic plants!). My planting medium has quite a lot of peat, so may be a bit acidic. I'll assume it's okay to use the dolomite with magnesium and will dose with Epsom salts later on in the growing season as needed. I hope I get to plant these puppies tomorrow. I have everything ready and we were all set to get everything set up and planted tomorrow, then my son, who is supposed to be helping me with this called and told me he has to work tomorrow. His job is to haul the 3 cubic ft bags of potting mix around and dump them in the containers as well as setting the T-posts for the tomato supports. Grrr, I want to get this over with so I can start packing to move on the 15th. (My landlord is kindly letting me plant flowers and veggies before we move in.)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?