Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluedragon2k9

miracle gro organic choice garden soil for containers

bluedragon2k9
10 years ago

i messed up and bought some miracle gro organic choice garden soil for my containers, i heard this stuff will compact in containers and not let the roots have oxygen.I was wanting to know if i used some coco coir i have in it if it would amend it to where i could use it in my containers?

Comments (16)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Not IMO. Compaction is only one of the problems. It says on the bag not for use in containers for very good reasons. Return or exchange it.

Dave

• dickiefickle
    10 years ago

You could use this if you add a wick to the container or if you can drill some large 1 -1 1/2 "holes in the bottom of your containers and set them on the ground so the water can go thru you soil mix and out thru the botttom holes and into the ground ,basically turns your container into a raised bed .

• pasco
    10 years ago

My take on containers is if you are not going to mix your own organic soil, in a large enough amount to feed your plant thru it's entire life cycle (25gal min.) with plenty of perlite, vermiculite or pumice to ensure great drainage, you might as well just use promix hp or bx and plan on feeding every other watering what ever your plant needs during it's life cycle. plenty of good nute lines out there with General Hydroponics being one that, if it's good enough for NASA, well then i would say it's good enough for me!

This post was edited by pasco on Sat, May 18, 13 at 20:33

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

While I'd sure agree that using ProMix is a good idea, it simply isn't available for many.

More importantly it isn't comarable in this situation since the question is about using the MG garden soil that is NOT a soil-less potting mix to begin with.

Many have tried using it in containers, either intentionally or by accident, and posted here about the failures. When even the manufacturer says to not use it in containers that strikes me as sufficient warning.

Dave

• pasco
    10 years ago

Pro mix is available at every home depot, i've ever been too. But if you say so...
    Well then he could just add a bunch of perlite and sphagnum peat to it and roll with it then. Compaction would be a mute point after the perlite and peat addition. I was assumeing he wanted some options for going down the right road as far as container growing goes!

This post was edited by pasco on Sat, May 18, 13 at 21:48

• fireduck
    10 years ago

many posts on this site regarding the importance of drainage and fine organic particles stopping/slowing down the flow of moisture through the pot. Have you ever noticed the bottom 2-3 inches of potting mix in your pot after taking the plant out? It is always wet and heavy muck. The water is simply not "drawn" out because it is sitting on the bottom...despite holes. Some people use a "wick" through the bottom to draw the water through the entire column. More people are going to the 5-1-1 or 1-1-1 touted on this site.

• pasco
    10 years ago

Put 3 inches of perlite in the bottom of your pots first, you plants will love it!

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Three inches of perlite will not improve drainage. it will just increase the perched water level by 3".

• Bets
    10 years ago

"Three inches of perlite will not improve drainage. it will just increase the perched water level by 3"."

Correct, and then you have 3" less of useable growing medium. Plus you still have the problem of the soil compacting in the container.

Dave gave the best solution when he said "Return or exchange it."

Growing in containers is difficult enough for most people, why compound the issue by using a product that even the manufacturer says not to use in containers?

Betsy

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Home Depot? ProMix isn't even carried on their website as available for special ordering. HD's contract for supplying potting mixes is with Scott/Miracle Grow. If your HD is carrying it is a local fluke.

Compaction would be a mute point after the perlite and peat addition.

How so? He would still have a mix that was a majority of dirt, plain old sludge soil that is particleized to compact. 50% perlite - sure might drain ok but peat only replels water.

An as Ed said layering only complicates issues - cation exchange, soil temps, root penetration, nutrient availability, etc.

Bottom line - why on earth try to "salvage" something that is no good to begin with when it means spending more money and you create even more problems in the process? That's like sitting your septic tank on top of the yard and running your leach field out to the road just because the soil won't perk where you want it to go and refuse to move it to where the soil will perk.

Dave

• pasco
    10 years ago

Hey dave, your one of those my way or the highway dbags...not impressed with your "i'm the only one that you should listen to" growing skills.
    You have at it pal and keep the sheep in the herd.
    That's why i was pages ahead of your dribble telling the op how to fn do it the right way from my first post. i'll just leave you in the dust and grow on, and you can post up to everyone on here with your legend in your "Own mind" veiws.
    What a dick!

This post was edited by pasco on Sun, May 19, 13 at 19:02

• pasco
    10 years ago

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. ... It happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." ��" Carl Sagan

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Because someone - in this case several people - disagrees with your position you have to resort to insults and name calling?

Ever heard the phrase "That's the pot calling the kettle black".

Miracle Grow Garden Soil

How to Use

For planting individual plants. Dig a hole twice as wide as the container/rootball. Blend garden soil with native soil in a 50:50 ratio. For amending beds, apply a 3 inch layer and work into the top 6 inches of the soil. Plant seeds or live plants following specific package or plant tag instructions. Water thoroughly after planting then daily until plants are well established.

When to Apply

Apply when planting flowers, vegetables and herbs outdoors (not in containers), or when preparing soil in outdoor gardens and landscape beds.

How often to apply

Amend in-ground gardens annually mixing 50/50 with existing soil.

Where to Use

Use for in-ground gardens.

Where Not to Use

Not for use in pots or containers.

University of Georgia College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences - Gardening in Containers: Soil

Univ, of Illinois Extension - Using Soil and Soil-less Mixes for Containers

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle grow Garden Soil

• pasco
    10 years ago

âÂÂNo man knows less than the man who knows it allâÂÂ

• Jennifer C
    5 years ago

I mistakenly used this in my potted garden,, Everything is thriving so far... Tons of watermelon and pumpkins growing

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    5 years ago

No sweat. Just try not to over water.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH