Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clob_gw

Best Varieties for Minnesota?

clob
15 years ago

IÂm heading back to Mpls/St. Paul for a few days to help out my sister who just gave birth. One of my responsibilities is to help put in her garden. SheÂs in St. Paul (Highland Park) and has never really grown tomatoes before but really wants some.

Are there any varieties youÂd recommend for this climate? Or places to buy seedlings around Highland Park? IÂve been to GuertenÂs before but donÂt remember anything about their tomato selection. From what I remember (this was 10 yrs ago) thereÂs also a great nursery on Lake St. in Minneapolis. Any recommendations/input would be appreciated.

Comments (7)

• garystpaul
    15 years ago

Go to the St. Paul Farmer's Market. Tomorrow (Saturday, 17 May) it should be hopping down there. It's close by and you'll be able to find lots of different varieties, including a good many heirlooms. I myself grow pretty much the same varieties that are grown in other parts of the U.S. Good luck. GaryStPaul

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I would think an early to mid season (under 85 days from transplant) tomato would do fine. With the late season tomatoes, you may run into trouble with late blight and / or frost.

If you open the link and scroll down to the bottom, there is a list of tomatoes recommended for NY. I would imagine it would be similar for Minnesota. You might want to try and contact your local cooperative extension to get recommendations.

In the Cornell list, Supersweet 100's, Celebrity, Jetstar, Big Beef, Supersonic have done well for me. Most of the rest I haven't grown (yet!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornell's recommended tomatoes

• carolyn137
    15 years ago

I myself grow pretty much the same varieties that are grown in other parts of the U.S. Good luck. GaryStPaul

And I agree with Gary.

I know quite a few folks who grow tomatoes in MN and they all grow the same varieties that anyone else in the zone 4 to maybe zone 7/8 grow.

Carolyn

• ddsack
    15 years ago

Just depends on the year and the weather. I'm in a cold pocket in the north central part, and I pretty much grow whatever I want. The last few years have been warmer than normal and I've had no trouble ripening Coustralee, Yellow Brandywines, Dr, Wyche's, and a whole slew of other large late season tomatoes. Wasn't always that way when we had some cooler summers 20 years ago. Near Minneapolis, you've got nearly two weeks of growing weather at each end of what I can expect, so no problems! A mix of early, mid and late season varieties always smart.

• mickeyjane
    15 years ago

I grow about everything, and I'm quite a bit further north than she is but I'm sure she'll want something super easy if she's new to it and will have a new baby - which I get as I'm due to expel my own little parasite any second now. When I was still trying to be practical while planning I was going to just grow some Sweet Millions. One plant is plenty for a family of four, they're very pretty and they have more of a tomato-ey flavor than a lot of hybrid cherries.
    Our Amish Pastes always do great, and even though they're a paste tomato, my family loves them fresh. Lemon Boy if she wants something a little different.
    Mr. Stripey usually does really well for me too - it's pretty and my husband's favorite.
    Those are the easiest that are still flavorful that I can think of for up here.

• bjdimond
    10 years ago

The University of Minnesota Extension Service has a tremendous amount of gardening info on their website. The link to recommended vegetables is below. The St. Paul Farmers Market recommendation is spot on.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Minnesota Extension Service