Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilized today and some got on the stem and leaves...

Posted by srg215 6b no (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 22:57

I didn't know that the fertilizer should never touch the stem or leaves. I sprinkled some garden tone around my tomato plants but I'm sure that some got on the stem and leaves. Will this totally damage the plants? What kind of damage should I be on the lookout for?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilized today and some got on the stem and leaves...

Good thing it was a dry fertilizer or it may already be to late. If they still look good in the morning you are probably fine. First thing tomorrow morning go out there and wash the fertilizer off the leaves and stems.

For the uninitiated. If you get fertilizer on any plants leaves or stems wash it off immediately to prevent nutrient burn. Of course this does not apply to foliar feeding your plants.

o

Does this count for diluted fish emulsion too?

o

No. Fish and seaweed emulsions, properly diluted, make great foliar sprays and drenches for whole plants.

o

Ok, so if the fertilizer did damage the plant, what should I see tomorrow? Curled leaves? Burned crispy leaves? Spots? Wilt?

o

"Ok, so if the fertilizer did damage the plant, what should I see tomorrow? Curled leaves? Burned crispy leaves? Spots? Wilt?"

If you left granular fertilizer on the leaves or stems you may see some burned spots where the fertilizer was in direct contact (if it got wet), if you washed them off ASAP, you may have been able to prevent the damage and you might not notice anything.

o

I sprinkled some garden tone around my tomato plants

What are the application instructions on the box? Usually sprinkling dry fertilizers around plants is just a waste of fertilizer and has little to no benefit for the plants.

Dave

o

It said to sprinkle about 1/3 cup of it around the base of the plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here