Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato plant leaves curling, wilting, and turning yellow

Posted by nycbos California (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 23:14

I'm growing a "Better Boy" tomato plant indoors. I used Miracle-Gro Potting Soil. The plant is beginning to fruit, but in the last few weeks, almost all the leaves have started drying up, curling inwards, and turning yellow.

I'm watering the plant via a pair of irrigation spikes: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002558KJQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00. So the plant should be getting enough water. I've also tried watering the plant more, in the hopes that it just wasn't getting enough water, but that doesn't seem to be working either.

Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato plant leaves curling, wilting, and turning yellow

And here are pictures of my tomato plant.

Thanks again!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Plant Pictures

o

Sorry about your tomatoes. They look grim.

Need considerable info to even attempt to resolve your challenges.

How big a container are they in? Length by width by depth?
And how many in each container?

Are you fertilizing?
If so, with what? what strength? and how often?

As for watering, I trust looking at the potting mix (or soil, when in the garden) and feeling.
How deep is it moist?
Does water run out the bottom when you water?
How often do you water?

o

Seems like whats happening is they were are low on nutrients, started showing the signs(mainly yellow leaves from not having enough nitrogen) especially now that its blooming it uses more. You noticed and were hoping it was just lacking water and added even more which if anything probably made matters worse by keeping the roots from absorbing what little if any nutrients are left if any from the miracle grow soil.

Of course this just speculation and my theory of whats going on, considering Im assuming that they have not been feed besides what nutrients were in the potting soil. If there were the case I would let the soil get back to how you had it and FEED it!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here