Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shelleykj

Opinions of Golden Jubilee

shelleykj
16 years ago

I bought a mislabeled 4pk of what turned out to be gold tomatoes 2yrs ago. Saved some seeds, which worked okay last year. Closest variety for size, color, shape I could guess was Golden Jubilee, so this year I bought some, hoping that's what they were. They made the BEST salsa. I'm wondering about anyone else's exp. w/ G.Jub, as I haven't seen many posts mention it.

Comments (18)

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

Closest variety for size, color, shape I could guess was Golden Jubilee

Shelley, that may be true if you've looked at perhaps a few seed source sites but believe me, there are many many other varieties that meet those same specs. ( smile)

Golden Jubilee is one that might be found sold commercially, as is Jubilee, see below, and actually along with several others of the same size and shape and color, so if you now have true Golden Jubilee see if it meets your expectations.

I'm sorry I can't give you my view of it b'c it's one I haven't grown.

It won an AAS award back in 1943 and I'm pretty sure it was was bred by the Maule Seed Co of Philadelphia.

It gets a bit confusing b'c there's also a Jubilee bred by Burpee, see the blurb below from the NCSU Cultivar list but it was the GOlden Jubilee one that won the AAS award. Whatever. LOL

Jubilee - Breeder and vendor: W. Atlee Burpee Co., Philadelphia. Parentage: six-generation selection from Tangerine x Rutgers cross. Characteristics: large orange tomato with very meaty interiors and mild flavor, deep globe-shaped fruit. Similar: Sunray. Adaptation: wide, except in northernmost portions. Burpee Catalog 1943.

Carolyn

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

Golden Jubilee is sold by TT, it's one that I'm distributing this year through my SASE program. I'll paste in a link for their page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Jubilee

• shelleykj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carolyn and judy, Thanks! Yes I'm pretty positive that's it, they were sweet, very low acid which was great as my FIL could eat them without bothering his stomach. I do have four plants from my own seed besides the ones I bought, so I'll really be able to compare them better when they fruit. They gave about 30-50 fruits per plant last year, 3-4" size. This year I'm doing them lasanga style, so maybe I'll get even more. Wish me luck and Happy Gardening to everyone.
    Shelley

• carolyn137
    16 years ago

very low acid

Actually they aren't Shelley.

Of all the tomato varieties for which pH measurements have been done there's a very very narrow range and while so many places say this or that tomato is low acid, that's not really correct.

The pastel colored varieties have about the same amount of acid as do other varieties, it's just that the usually higher sugar content masks that normal acidity.

The hybrid Jet Star is one of the few varieties which has been documented to be low acid and usually that's mentioned where it's listed for sale since if using them for canning by the open water boiling method one needs to be sure to acidify the contents since botulism spores aren't inactivated well unless there's sufficient acid around.

Carolyn

• shelleykj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow Carolyn! I read your My Page, Very impressive. I'm not about to argue with a track record like that. BTW, your home/land sounds gorgeous. Anyway, wish me luck as an amateur, I'll take all the advice I can get. Thanks!
    Shelley

• korney19
    16 years ago

Husky Gold is another widely available one often found at the Department stores & hardware stores, plus many greenhouses/nurseries. How big was the plant and what type of leaves did yours have?

• t_richard
    16 years ago

I was reading some of the threads on GardenWeb - looking for info about the optimum temperatures for tomatoes. Your responses and background prompted me to ask for your help/input/recommendations.

I recalled reading somewhere that below a temperature of 55(?) that tomatoes would become 'stunted' and recovery would be difficult. Do you have any specifics in your data? I bought some ÂJubilee starts and have been moving them outdoors for sun after temps exceed 55 and theyÂll be getting large enough to plant very soon.. IÂm gardening in containers with CRW cages and may need to wrap or cover them to protect the little guys.

I'm a real fan of Golden Jubilee tomatoes! The one's I've grown here in Oregon were sun yellow, 4-5"/softball size, and would take top honors at BBQ's.. sliced thick, basted with EVOO & herbs, and grilled; sometimes capped with a slice of mozzarella.

Reading some of the descriptions, I now am wondering how many different large yellow varieties are available?? Or reds, or others that have exceptional flavor and structure that will BBQ well.?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    Have a great week!

Richard

• shelleykj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well Richard, I hope those are questions for Carolyn and not me. All I know is here not to plant out until May 10(tomorrow-YEAH!!!) or later, over 60degrees at night. Put mine out for sun today, only took an hour to wilt some of them, hit 80 degrees! They perked right back up with fresh water back in the basement. And that there are a lot more varieties of tomatoes than I ever thought there were! Good luck!
    Shelley

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    16 years ago

Looking at the merits of this variety you probably will not regret growing it. Fruits are attractive, fairly uniform in size and spherical in shape. Last year I had a dozen GJ plants next to a dozen Kelloggs Breakfast Plants and the GJs outproduced the other orange variety by a factor of three. Couldn't tell any difference in flavor between the two.

I'm not growing as many this year just because there are dozens of other varieties to test and the bicolored types seem most appealing to many folks nowdays.

As far as canning concerns; most authorities recommend adding acid (vinegar, lemon, or lime juice) to all canned tomatoes anymore as a food safety precaution. The recipes that grandma passed on to you are not considered safe.

• HoosierCheroKee
    16 years ago

bmoser,

What was your seed source for Golden Jubilee. Sounds good to me.

Bill

• barrie2m_(6a, central PA)
    16 years ago

Bill,
    I buy these from an Ohio seed supplier, Rupp, who whas raised their price on all their heirloom seeds to $4.50 per thousand this year (still half what the next closest competitor charges). I'm pretty sure that the Golden Jubilee are listed with heirlooms in their catalog. But you can also find them on almost any WalMart seed rack lately. They are about as common as Early Girl or Rutgers on most seed racks.

I don't feel bad putting in a plug for these people at Ruppseeds because they go out of their way to make sure you get your seeds when you want them. Early payments get big discounts and prices are hard to beat.

• winevalley
    13 years ago

Although this thread was begun several years ago. I have to agree with those who rate Golden Jubilee very high. I have been growing it for years and love it. You can pick it yellow or orange. Very meaty consistent produced of good sized fruit. More intense flavor with less water. Seed can be saved from year to year. High sugar content!

• barb_adk8
    9 years ago

I am in the Adirondack mountains and have got 3 gorgeous yellow jubilee tomato plants.They are in pots and I am wondering if they are ok to grow in pots. The plants are huge!!!! I cannot put them in the ground where I live as there is none. I was thinking of putting them in larger pots. Any suggestions? TIA!!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

All depends on exactly what size pots you are talking about? I have grown one in a 1/2 whiskey barrel and in a 20 gallon plastic container with good results.

Much smaller than that could be very problematic. You could still get a few fruit but not near the normal amount.

They are big plants, indeterminates, require some heavy duty supports, and when in containers, a steady supply of soil moisture and regular weekly feeding.

Dave

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Altho I like yellow and golden tomatoes, I am not fond of Jubilee and its similar offspring Sunray. Sunray has more resistance to Fusarium, but both are quite vigorous and productive. Quite meaty and somewhat dry for me. They were quite popular for home gardeners in the 50's and 60's.
    I suspect that they have been blended in todays market. There were other round yellows in thier time frame.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I grew one some years ago. Then I had heard that yellow tomatoes are generally sweeter. And I recall that GJ was.
    I will probably grow one next year again.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    7 years ago

Here I am again.

This past summer I bought some Jubilee ( Golden Jubilee ) tomatoes from farmers market and saved seeds from them.

Now it is on my 2017 grow out list. There will be few other yellow/gold that I have seeds for :

Kellogg's Breakfast

Azoychka

Limmony

Big Rainbow

Hillbilly

and of course GJ

Now help me decide to pick just 3 from the above list.

KB and BR did nor do well at all in my PNW garden. But now I am down here in North Carolina.

Sey