Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Tomatoes and Indigo Rose when are they ripe?

Posted by jrslick KS/5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 0:54

Hello,

I am super excited about picking our first tomatoes today. There are many more blushing.

Photobucket

The yellow is a lemon boy, Cherokee Purple and the reds are Polbig (yes they got picked a little early)

We have been picking Cherry tomatoes for two weeks too!

Photobucket

On to the Indigo Rose? How to you know when they are ripe?

Photobucket

Yes they have alot of leaf roll, They have looked like this since I planted them out.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Tomatoes and Indigo Rose when are they ripe?

Where can I get seed for that Indigo Rose? I've got to grow that tomato next year regardless of flavor. Lol.

o

Jay - I didn't want to reply til someone else did, to keep your thread on top. But I have to say those are beautiful tomatoes - look like plums! I will have to look for those seeds too - and hope they keep them OP like they say this year's seeds are. You may want to save some of yours.

You probably already did a search, this is what I came up with "The tomatoes will be purple where exposed to light, Myers said, and they tend to have a purple crown. They are ripe when their color changes from a shiny blue-purple to a dull purple-brown. The fruit also softens similarly to regular tomatoes, and the bottom of the tomatoes will turn from green to red when ripe."

Here's the link to OSU's press release, but I can't get their FAQ link to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Indigo Rose

o

I did get the seeds from Johnny's Selected Seeds, High Mowing Seeds also carry the Indigo Rose.

It will take some practice picking these this year for sure! They are all so shiny, they almost look fake!

Jay

o

You'll have to post pix when they're ripe so we can see if they're still pretty when they're dull instead of shiny.

o

note to self, include Indigo Rose on next year list.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here