Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cherry tomatoes always splitting when ripe

Posted by steelskies 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 1:01

I forgot what kind these were, the little round cherry tomatoes....they split every time they get ripe. they've done this for 3 years now. I had another variety last year that was more oblong, but still the little bite-size tomatoes, and they didn't split at all. These plants were located in the same area, just a few feet apart, so it can't be the soil or amount of water.

Can anyone recommend a good cherry tomato that stays "healthy". thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cherry tomatoes always splitting when ripe

Related to water supply. After fruit is more or less developed, the skin "toughens" to a certain degree. If the plants then receive a gulp of water -- rainfall or irrigation -- the extra water in the fruit makes the skin split.
Some kinds are more likely to split than others.

o

As Jean said, it IS water related. And it can affect any tomato. Cherry sizes just react more quickly than larger fruit do.

Pick any near ripe fruit prior to watering or if rain is expected and let them finish ripening inside. There is no need to leave them on the plant so long.

Without knowing the actual names of the varieties - you really need to keep track of that for best results - you can't compare them to what happened last year since there are just too many other variables.

Dave

o

I use compost as a mulch. To retain some water in a downpour, and to hopefully reduce wilts and blights.

One year we got two or three inches of rain in a day. Two to three hundred yellow cherry tomatoes split on just on plant!

When a plant seems to be reaching peak production, I cut back the watering, then pick the tomatoes two to four days later. Then back to the regular watering schedule of twice a week. I try to convince some of the other tomato-growing neighbors that you don't have to (and should not) water once a day. They may not trim the bottoms of the plants, and use compost tea, but they love to water daily!

o

steelskies, I think your tomato plants ARE healthy! Like others already mentioned. splitting and cracking has a lot to do with the variety and environment. I grow Juliet because of their resistency to cracking and spliting, but they're not to everyone's taste bud, and they're not cherry. For cherry, maybe try Sweet Million?

o

I have learned a lot from this this thread.

Tell me-- why should we trim the bottom of the plants? When should we do this?

~~Brandy

o

The bottom leaves are suseptible to soil-borne disease,so the bottom leaves are pulled off .that would get splashed on to. Some people trim them farther up the stalk for better air circulation to dry the leaves or easier to find fruit/

o

I quit planting Sweet 100's because they crack so bad for me. Pik'em early and the next day still over half will be cracked.
Got to be a better cherry tom somewhere!!!

o

Reisentraubes seem pretty resistant to cracking. Taste is pretty average, though.

o

dickiefickle, you are wonderful! You have really helped me! Thanks! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here