Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Use Potting Soil Again

Posted by Seeded none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 1:35

I planted 4 Husky Cherry Tomato plants in 15 gallon containers. I used organic potting soil and organic tomato fertilizer. The plants all have wilted leaves (with some yellowing on the lower leaves of each plant). They perk up a little, at certain times, but for the most part they look shriveled. They have been in their pots for exactly a week.

I think it might be some kind of wilt (been reading on the internet). This is my first experience trying to grow food or anything in a container. I am thinking that the plants might be history. Can I reuse the soil in the pots with some new tomato plants? Everything I read talks about solarizing soil to kill everything, but I can't wait 6-8 weeks. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Use Potting Soil Again

S...usually any disease does not kill that fast. I would look hard at the amount of fertilizer you used...and what the water/moisture situation to your roots is. You might save them. Make sure pot drains well.

o

Agree. It sounds like the problem isn't a plant disease but what is in the containers. So putting new plants in will get the same results - burned roots.

Need to give us the exact name of the " organic potting soil and organic tomato fertilizer" used and how much of the fertilizer used. Also tell us how much and how often you watered them.

Dave

PS: including your garden zone or location would be a big help too.

o

If the containers don't drain well the roots rot. I have pots with big holes that still get blocked sometimes. Lack of drainage is a common way to kill plants even those that like lots of water.
Organic does not mean good necessarily. I would want a little perlite in there for drainage and that is inorganic. Many soil less potting mixes already have some fertilizer.

If you live where it is hot and sunny and the tomatoes had been in a protected partly shaded area, you kill them putting them in direct sun and wind unless you do it gradually.

If people know where you live, they know what problems you face.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here