Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What makes indeterminate tomatoes behave as indeterminate?

Posted by lindalana z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 1:43

My tomatoes which are slightly over 30 varieties, all heirlooms-OP and indeterminate seems decided otherwise. I do have green toms, Jap Trifeles- 3 or 4, Black Krim 3, Azoychka 6 etc but plants themselves are short and bushy and stay about 3 feet for couple of weeks now. There is more bloom but little of more green growth. Yes, this year we do have some weird weather...
Background- my seeds are saved and grown by me, or other people, some plants received in trades, some seeds received in trades, some seeds are leftovers from commercial packets so there is hedge podge of seed sources. Also tomatoes at my house which took big hit with weather prior to planting, were planted at least 2 weeks later are behaving in general normal way I would see tomatoes growing, double up in a week, shooting past their cages etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What makes indeterminate tomatoes behave as indeterminate?

Specific genes determine plant habit of a variety, as in det, indet, Dwarf, etc. by controlling the internode distances, that is, the spaces between on the stem/lateral branches, etc., where blossoms appear.

Weather factors can also determine the extent to which those genes are expressed, that is, phenotype, what you see, as opposed to genotype, what the genes actually are.

Carolyn

o
RE: What makes indeterminate tomatoes behave as indeterminate?

Indeterminate vs Determinate is mostly determined by genetic tendencies. As Carolyn said above, AND, it can be influenced by weather. Determinates tend to put flower spikes on the end of their growing tips, which shuts down growth, and they try to flower all at once and produce their tomatoes in a single great explosion. This is generally considered to be a desirable trait for Farmers or Canners.

Indeterminates probably still have a lot of the same genes as Determinates and might turn on Determinate behavior under certain conditions, but it is more likely that your tomatoes are responding to their environment by just pausing or slowing growth for a while, then they will continue on their merry way, when the time and conditions are right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here