Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Better Boy vs Brandy Boy

Posted by Hudson...WY Z3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 2:18

The fruit test - - - we planted equal quantity of both plants (10 each) - under equal conditions. These are among the first fruits to ripen but I would have to give "Brandy Boy" a little higher marks for the following reasons:
The fruit is more attractive - larger on average - better tangy flavor - more juice pockets - slightly thinner skin - ripened earlier - slightly more productive - slightly more aggressive heavier stalked plant. If I had room to plant only one variety of the two - I would go with Brandy Boy.

photo image_zps3ab164f6.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Better Boy vs Brandy Boy

Just my opinion, but I would find it very hard to compare such different varieties.

Brandy Boy F1 could be compared with Brandywine and Better Boy F1 could be compared with Big Boy F1, both share a common parent, as well as some of the other earliest bred ones such as Ramapo F1, Jet Star F1, Supersonic F1 and Moreton Hybrid,

But whatever works best for you is just fine.

Carolyn

o

Hi Carolyn,
I see your point! I am just trying to compare anything I can get to grow in our Wyoming GH and then keep growing the best option until we find something better....that used to be Better Boy (no need to try Big Boy F1 now) and now..... after comparing...... it is Brandy Boy. If I had more variety knowledge I would have approached it differently, I am sure. We are trying several new varieties every year not knowing where it will take us but is a fun journey.

I have no idea how Ramapo F1, Jet Star F1, Supersonic F1 and Moreton Hybrid taste or will tolerate the Wyoming climate but thanks for the suggestions - I will add them to the list. I appreciate the good advice - I am learning good stuff everyday on this gardenweb forum from friends as you!

Heck - I am just a Wyoming cowboy that happens to enjoy growing the best possible tomato in this frigid climate - haha. Oh by the way - if anyone reading this thread is contemplating growing Better Boy or Brandy Boy - I hope the photos I posted will help you decide!

o

Hudson,
I made the same comparison three years ago and came to the same conclusion! Love that Brandy Boy!

o

I am not changing my mind about the comparison between Brandy Boy and Better Boy - but I am impressed with our Better Boys this year! They are a larger fruit (8-13 oz early on) when compared with previous years and there is nothing like the flavor of a Better Boy when chilled in the refrigerator on a hot summer day! Our Better Boys did not disappoint this year!

All these new hybrids sure does make it difficult to decide which variety to plant - nice problem to have though.

photo a2fce7a2-70da-44b6-a410-f5fecd25f156_zpsa15b5c07.jpg

o

"there is nothing like the flavor of a Better Boy when chilled in the refrigerator on a hot summer day!"

Hmmmm, I've read a lot about not putting maters in the fridge as it "Kills the flavor", (Paraphrasing).

I must admit, I've never compared maters that have been in fridge with ones than have not, maybe the fridge makes maters taste bad is "An old wive's tale"?????

I do know that I prefer my mater juice, the colder the better.

I guess I will havta try that with maters and see for myself.

Gary

o

Hi Gary - I have read the same thing about chilling tomatoes kills the flavor - haha - but I don't much care about that because I like to eat fresh tomatoes cold and that's just the way it is - whether just on a plate or in a sandwich - they just taste better to me that way and for some reason - especially Better Boy!

I am definitely with you when it comes to tomato juice! To each his own!

This post was edited by Hudson...WY on Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 23:21

o

Definitely, aside from the variety, Brandy boy is the winner in my opinion.

About refrigeration: I do not know if something chemically happens or not but to me all the fruits taste best at room temperature or even slightly warmer. Because, in part, that is how and where they grow. When the fruits are too cold(45F?) they numb the taste sensors in the mouth so you can not get and feel the true taste. Just my personal view.

o

Hudson... Please tell us more about the green house set up that is in the picture.
Since you are in zone 3, and have ripe tomatoes now, how long do you have to use supplemental lighting?
When did you start your seeds?
Did you also grow other varieties?
What do you use for a growing medium?
Thanks!

o

Seysonn - I know it is odd - but I like Brandy Boy better at room temps and Better Boy chilled - one of those variables that at least doesn't affect the growth of the plant!

Northernmn - We are in similar zones - It took some effort to get tomatoes so early in our zone - but it was fun doing it!
Here is the short story: Planted seeds indoors under lights the last week of January - Moved to unheated GH on March 10th - covered seedlings in GH with frost blankets - kept seedlings above 40 degrees under the frost blanket with light bulbs on a timer at night - removed frost blanket on sunny days.

photo image_zpsb9e05bee.jpg

As the plants grew, we had to change the frost blanket supports to accommodate - the outside temps became warmer (32 degrees and colder instead of 0 degrees and colder) - so the light bulbs were still able to keep the plants above 40 degrees in the GH.

photo image_zps68479118.jpg

Finally the plants grew so tall that we had to remove all protection in the GH to allow them to climb - at that point we used an electric space heater on nights when outside temps were below 25 degrees - the GH kept the plants above 40 degrees without heat above 25 degrees.

photo 88a0f4b1-d185-4a79-b64c-c76e8e0a35c2_zps9aa43479.jpg

There you have it - it worked for us and now we are enjoying nice ripe tomatoes in this frigid beautiful Wyoming in June! We planted 5 varieties - German Giant, Better Boy, Brandy Boy, Super Marzano and Sweet Baby Girl.

photo 7e04d5ce-54ee-4475-a76c-b50791d455fc_zpsd01c76d1.jpg

Happy results from some early effort. Next year we plan to start the seeds the middle of February and delay the process two weeks - (we think we will have similar outcome - although the plants were always healthy and never appeared stressed) - because the cold weather (sub-zero temps) slowed down the growth process some back in February.

photo image_zps7e8574e5.jpg

This post was edited by Hudson...WY on Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 1:06

o

Thank You! Great job on the explanation and a super pictorial to go with it. VERY well done.

o

No problem Northernmn - be sure to post some photos of your GH when you start construction - I would like to see what you end up with. We must have looked at hundreds of GH's before we designed the one we built.

o

Salsa time! Brandy Boy did not disappoint !!

photo image_zps4f8397fa.jpg

o

Another very good Burpee product is Orange Slice. I have ten plants hanging full of large green fruit bigger than Better Boy ever gets. They taste good too.

o

I have grown Brandy Boy twice. I love the color and size but in my garden it comes in a poor second to Estlers Mortgage Lifter.

o

hey Hudson, loved seeing the photo of your greenhouse lit up at night with snow surrounding it! That must keep your gardening heart going in the winter!

o

bigpinks: Thanks for the recommendation (Orange Slice & Estlers Mortgage Lifter)! I will have to try both varieties. Do you have any photos of the plants / fruits so I can compare?

Amerique: Yes - there was therapeutic benefits from opening our GH on March 10th. The photo you are referring to was taken on March 12, 2013. Snow is expected here in Wyoming (zone 3) through May and last frost is forecast by the end of May - but we always get subfreezing temps in June it seems ------- I just can't wait that long!!! I have to start tinkering with grow lights in January and lighting up the GH in March - haha. It proved worth it though because we are now enjoying a bumper crop of tomatoes! Thanks for your comments.

o

I might have some later. My son said he would give me an older camera and show me how to post pictures. Right now I have clusters of 3-5 in a bunch of the EMLs. Last summer I weighed one that wa 37 oz. They are much rounder in my garden than BB and just a smoother more attractive shape..jmo. They are meaty, slightly sweet and I love the taste. The pretty pink color of Brandy Boy however is almost unique. When my plants got 5 ft tall the Orange Slice had a bigger stem and more robust look(deep green leaves) than any other plant in my garden. And they were full of round 3-4 inch fruit.

o

It appears mother nature may have a solution - a "Better Brandy Boy"! I was surprised to find several cross pollinated Better Boys in the GH - the plants are at least 15' apart! Our GH is air tight and screened!! As of yet - I have not found any Brandy Boys that look like Better Boys though. Maybe Burpee can develop a "Better Brandy Boy" for those of us that like both of them!?

photo image_zps764296a5.jpg

o

Better Boy is still one of the varieties of choice for our GH. The Brandy Boy is a great slicing tomato - but Better Boy is an awesome canning tomato (good for slicing too - but not as good as Brandy Boy - IMO). And..........Better Boy is a great producer too.

My wife bottles/cans some awesome tomato soup as well as salsa. We just picked another round of Better Boy tomatoes today (most of these tomatoes are 8-14 oz) - that will find their way into her awesome soup!! It got down to 19 degrees last week and the frost killed everything that wasn't in the GH (except some of the cold crops). Better Boy and Brandy Boy are our favorites at this point in time and are still producing!!

photo IMG_1262_zps66644f4c.jpg

o

Better Boy is ok, but in my garden Brandy Boy is the winner.

Brandy Boy is superior to Better Boy in: taste, size and productivity.

I also suggest Brandy Boy’s fans, to check another thread by Hudson...WY: Brandy Boy - awesome variety.

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 13:03

o

Awesome looking tomato Daniel - and huge at that !! I agree 100% - Brandy Boy is the best tomato we have found to date! I can taste it - just looking at your photo !!!

o

In my garden Brandy Boy and Mortgage Lifter tasted EXCELLENT. But the "King of the Garden" is Brandywine Pink, which taste is OUTSTANDING !!!

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 13:16

o

Jealous! My garden is finished. Put away sauce and tomato jam, which is so delicious. I'm hoping to give brandy boy another try next year. Brandy wines are permanently off my list. Too few and too late!

o

Here in Long Island (NY) things are better than ever...

A few tomatoes I picked up yesterday, Saturday, September 13, 2014.

o

The two large ones in the corners are... Brandy Boys: 18 oz. and 13 oz. EXCELLENT taste !!! Nice size too.

o

I'm with you Sharon - Brandy Wine is off my list also - not impressed in my GH - for the same reasons !!

Nice Tomatoes Daniel !!

o

Hudson, you know your stuff and show everything in actual results.
Anyway. You can, of course, compare any two tomatoes, for sure. But maybe not a tomato to a tomatillo.

So far I like what I read and hear in this thread. Here is my dilemma. If I can only have one of the 2 BOYs, which one I should pick ?. My criteria:

--- Production, Earliness ( I have short cool season) , Compactness( I prefer smaller plants, to take less air space),

So , please help me out on this.

o

seysonn, I know your question was for Hudson, but in case you’re curious what happened in my garden, here it is:

* Production: Brandy Boy
* Earliness: Better Boy
* Compactness: Better Boy
* Size: Brandy Boy
* Taste: Brandy Boy (by far)

For me the choice next year is clear: BRANDY BOY.

Taste and size for me are much more important than waiting one more week for a Brandy Boy tomato to ripe.

While next year I will plant 3-4 Brandy Boy, I will still plant 1 or 2 Better Boy, which is still a good tomato.

o

Hi seysonn, I haven't grown Better Boy for a long time and this was my first year with Brandy boy. I can say that Brandy boy is not early, it's at least 80 DTM. I can't base production on this year as I had some disease issues with most of my plants, we had spider mites and extreme humidity. But the tomatoes did have excellent taste. I'm fairly certain it's going to be in my grow list for next year.

o

> Wine Tastings are all the rage these days but with the tomatoes producing volumes this year, why not consider hosting a 'tomato tasting' party? You will need to have a variety of tomatoes but, should you decide to have a party you could ask your guests to bring those from their garden or some from the Farmer's Market to add to the collective fun.

The cast of characters included the following:…[ Brandy Boy, Early Wonder, Glory, Green Zebra, Legend, Mortgage Lifter and Sungold. ]

'Brandy Boy' - 75-78 day maturity, indeterminate vine, a hybrid of Brandywine. This tomato is large and most fruit are in excess of five inches across. The skin is thin and pink and this plant produces quite a few fruit. It is much more prolific in production than 'Brandywine' . The flavor was described as tangy, sweet, zippy and robust. It was the clear favorite.

Of the eight guests, four liked 'Brandy Boy' the best, two liked 'Early Wonder', one liked 'Green Zebra' and one liked 'Mortgage Lifter'. [ Tomato Tasting. ]

o

Brandy Boy is my choice as well. Delicious 1lb+ fruit and very productive.

o

Hi Seysonn -
We have grown both varieties in our GH now for several years - We have a good history of performance - this is how they compare up for us:

* Production: Brandy Boy - always more prolific! Although Better Boy is always second place.
* Earliness: Brandy Boy - this is where I differ from Daniel and Sharon - In our GH the Brandy Boy set fruit better than Better Boy in early spring cool temps - so they are the first to ripen. We planted them in the GH the middle of March and had ripe Brandy Boy the middle of June. Better Boy was a week or two later.
* Compactness: Better Boy
* Size: Brandy Boy
* Taste: Brandy Boy (by far)!
* Slicing Tomato - Brandy Boy
* Canning Tomato - Better Boy
* Desease resistant - No Difference
* Skin - Brandy Boy - Thin - Better Boy - Medium

Brandy Boy is very hardy and grew 16' to the top of GH before the tops froze from freezing outside temps - I would recommend planting them behind your other tomato plants and give them strong support - we use cattle panels. I recommend pruning suckers which will keep them as compact as you like - but they keep producing if you let them grow tall or horizontal.

A tomato tasting party is a great idea - I will have to remember that for next year.

Brandy Boy - would be my clear choice of Recommendation for you to consider!! Have you tried Tomatillo? I don't have enough room in my GH for those! But have never grown them either.

Here is a photo of 2013 showing the dates the variety ripened. As you see - Brandy Boy ripens first in our GH.

photo image_zps39bc19c9.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here