Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato fertilizer ratios?

Posted by marcantonio zone 7 long island (italo61@aol.com) on
Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 2:40

hi gang,
my tomatoes seem to be doing very well this year
i've always looked for fertilizer with high phosphorus
and potasium content and a low nitrogen content.
i now hear that all plants need something like
3-1-2 ratio because plants can only absorb small
amounts of phosphorus and and potasium and to
much phosphorus will lock up other essential nutrients.
i'm confused i use almost all organic fertilizer
but always put at blooming time a pinch of triple phosphate.
plants look good however , have i done wrong?

marcantonio

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato fertilizer ratios?

I use Espoma Tomato-Tone 4-7-10 as per their directions and everything looks good.

John

o

Personally I don't pay much attention to what some folks say about fertilizer ratios.

In the past I've used 5/10/5, triple 10, and my farmer friend would sometimes fertilize my tomato field with triple 18 using a mechanical hopper set up.

And the plants did wonderfully.

What you use is also going to be dependent on what the composition of your soil is, whether you use a cover crop and on and on.

These days I grow more organically and about 600 less plants/season so I use, usually, Espoma or spray Neptune Harvest seaweed.

Carolyn

o

hi carolyn,
so glad to hear from you
now i feel relieved, i also
use espoma plantone as well as tomato tone
i also spray with seaweed.
in the planting row i also
add bone meal and kelp
with a sprinkling of epsom salts.
this year i added two bales of peat moss
and just by lightening the soil what a difference
not a sign of blight and everything looks very healthy.

marcantonio

o

In the planting hole I mix a good handful of cornmeal along with a handful of oatmeal. A little peat for drainage, a half cup of 10-10-10 slow release. About a tablespoon of Epsom salts. Then top the soil with a couple inches of vermicompost as mulch. During the season Neptune's Harvest fish/seaweed fert every other watering. Spray the foliage once a week with Daconil and wait. The waiting is the hard part. Plants do very well.

o

• Posted by lightt 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 15:57

Jbann,
Oatmeal???? Never heard of that one before!! What in the world is it supposed to do??

My daughters (both of whom are home for the summer) berate me on a daily basis for not eating breakfast -- "the most important meal of the day". Never thought tomato plants might need breakfast!

Thanks,
Terry Light
Oak Hill, Virginia

o

I'm sure oatmeal will provide some protein (nitrogen) in a gentle fashion, after all it is organic and will break down into soil food. Of course it wasn't purchased for that purpose but since it's been hanging around a year I figured "Why not?" other grains work. Now the corn meal, yes, that was purchased for the soil.

o

• Posted by doof SoCal 10a (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 08 at 19:03

Oatmeal... Just what my pocket gophers need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here