Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomatovator21

Moreton F1 or Ramapo F1 or both...??

tomatovator21
10 years ago

I have been growing Ramapo F1 tomatoes since Rutgers first brought them back and they are near the top of my grow every year list. I never tried Moreton F1. Any one grown both? Are they similar? I'm thinking I'll grow both next year.

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

When Ramapo F1 went out of of production I dehybridized it which wasn't hard since it had just two parents and many have grown the OP version and like it. I also liked the original F1.

There are three varieties bred by Harris Seeds that I also like very much and those are Moreton Hybrid, Supersonic F1 and now I've forgotten the third one, but for me, all were excellent.

The reason Ilike ALL of the above is b'c they were some of the first hybrids bred and have darn good taste, high production, uniform fruits and that's reason enough for me.

I suppose I might pick Spersonic F1 a tad above the others and there are threads here if you do a search about all of them with others also commenting.

Carolyn

• Jennie Sims
    10 years ago

Carolyn, I agree that Supersonic F1 is a great tasting tomato. I have a few MUST grows and this is one, along with Cherokee Purple and Dwarf Summertime Gold.

I think the other Harris Seed Hybrid is Jetstar? Have not tried Ramapo F1.

Jennie

• thebutcher
    10 years ago

Before I ordered my seeds from Rutgers in Feb, I emailed them a question about the moreton kc146 and Ramapo tat were available back then and they said.... The Ramapo is probably the best selection because in addition to it's traditional flavor it is a hardy and disease resistant variety.

I still regret not getting a Moreton seed though I really want to try them. I also read that the Moreton and Ramapo make perfect pairs because the Moreton comes earlier. Right now I got about 12 Ramapos growing (about 95 days from seed start) and starting to pop out those green marbles. I can't wait to taste them for this is my first year for that and my second year growing.

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Thanks, Jetstar F1is the other one of the three that I couldn't remember,

Well worth trying all three as well as Ramapo F1.

Butcher, when you were told that this or that is disease resistant that doesn't mean that much to me since first, there is NO tomato variety that is totally resistant to any disease,it's tolerance if it indeed has some tolerance genes, and it also depends on whether foliage or systemic diseases are being referred to.

Carolyn

• thebutcher
    10 years ago

I think they were just trying to say that the Ramapo was more disease resistant when I mentioned the Moreton, and Kc 146 for purchasing seeds this past Feb.

My apologies for any confusion. :)

- Mr Beno

• tomatovator21
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If anyone has grown both of these varieties I am curious how they compare in flavor, texture, productivity and the like. I am not a fan of Supersonic F1. I tried it twice with poor results. On the other hand Ramapo has been very dependable for me every year I planted it.