Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CRW causing black spots on fruit & stems?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 6:16

I noticed last might that my first BW tomato has a black hole on it where it was rubbing against the wire - I assume it will rot and I will have to pull it off today? Also I just finally planted my weird "trident" Big Rainbow and a day later saw a black spot on a branch where it was up against the rusty metal. How do you use CRW for cages if the rust abrades the plants and causes lesions wherever they touch the metal? I'm not caging them, but used the remesh for fencing and have 1 row of tomatoes (about 50 plants) again the fence and was planning on trellising them. I have 5 really tall plants I got from others, the rest I started from seed and are smaller so haven't touched the fence yet.

Oh, and my dad planted his 4 tomatoes in a square, can't weave them so I was going to give him excess remesh to make 4 cages from and stake them all together in the center, so his plants will be totally surrounded by wire and I don't want him to have any problems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CRW causing black spots on fruit & stems?

I can only mention my own experience with CRW cages and I've made my own in the way past and never attributed anything to those cages damaging fruits and when I moved to this new area in 1999 I used some really rusty cages at one of the places I was using up here and again, never saw any damage from those cages.

Sometimes fruits would be up against one of the wires and it would cause a physical dent in those fruits, but never any black spots from rubbing against the wires with fruits or stems.

At some areas here where I am now I grew most of my tomatoes by sprawling and a lesser number by caging, the rusty ones, actually, that belonged to the person whose garden area I was using.

Carolyn

o

Maybe b/c we got over 2" of rain b/t Friday and Mon?

o

I have a few of my parents' very old and rusty, short, wide ring cages which I use for short varieties. I think I've seen a few cases where a tomato presses against the ring and there is an indentation (not an actual hole), sometimes dark. I always assumed the sun heated the metal and it burned the skin of the tomato. No idea if that's what actually happened.

o

Missing, I mentioned the physical denting, which is what I called it, in my post above and no, I don't think it was b'c the metal got hot and did it. It's just a physical thing when the fruits enlarge and just happen to be next to some wires of the cage so get pressed against it.

It has happened for me when growing tomatoes in standard tall CRW cages as well as the short spiral ones, which I've used for quite a few years now since I have to grow my tomatoes only in the backyard in 12 gal Gro-bags and have Freda put the short spiral ones in the gro-bags to get a bit more height to the plants before they flop over.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here