Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I be Concerned?

Posted by new_b_gardener 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 7:28

This morning when I got up I went to look at my tomato plant and notice 2 of my chocolate cherries appear to be ripening. From what I have read all the tomatoes usually have reach full size on one cluster. On this cluster however 2 are full size, 3 are almost full size, and 1 is tiny. Maybe this has to do with being new to gardening and still learning how to take care of the plants. Maybe this is normal. I just wanted to see what people had to say about this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I be Concerned?

Cherry tomatoes will continue to flower and grow even after the first ones on he truss (cluster) have ripened. I have some trusses on my sweet 100's that I picked ripe fruit from one truss a week ago and its still making new flowers.

o

Also the first couple of fruits on the 2nd truss will ripen before the last ones on 1st truss have even set :) No worries.

Cheers,
Djole

o

Normal for cherries. And not all will always be the same size either.

Dave

o

They might even taste a bit different!

o

With cherries on a single truss, to agree with those who have posted above, the fruits nearest the main stem will ripen first and the last fruits at the bottom of the truss last.

And especially with Sungold F1 some like the fully ripe orange ones nearest the main stem and others prefer the less sweet ones in the middle of the truss.

And it's no different for almost all none cherries as well, at least the many ones I've grown, that those on a single truss ripen first nearest the main stem, as noted above.

Carolyn

o

+1 on the less sweet ones in the middle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here