Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
widdringtonia

Digging up and relocating

widdringtonia
9 years ago

Due to the dismal failure of last year's vegetable garden, I moved my tomato patch from the back garden (too much shade), to the front perennial garden. I planted two De Baroas in a spot where I hoped they'd get lots more sun.

Well, the salvia they're next to, instead of topping out at 2' like it did last year, decided to go crazy and is now 4' and still seems to be going upwards. So my De Baroas are now back in shade and aren't doing much. But they've been in the ground for nearly two months and were doing well up until Mistique Spires decided to be Mistique Expires The Tomatoes.

How well would the tomatoes take to being dug out and relocated? They'll just go on the other side of the bed, in more sun.

Or should I sacrifice the flowers on the salvia and shear it down, which would be really mean to some hummingbirds and bumblebees?

Comments (8)

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

How big are the two tomato plants, and I ask b'c mature plants do not transplant well at all. As in I know I wouldn't do it with two month old plants.

As to your other choice, well, it is your choice as to cutting back the salvia which yes, hummingbirds and BB's do like, but you said it was a perennial garden area and surely you have some other nectar producing perennials in the area.

Yes?

Carolyn

• plaidbird
    9 years ago

Your asking in a tomato forum. What do you want to bet, the majority are going to vote to cut back the saliva ? LOL

Personally I would chance moving the salvia, but it's a much milder climate than many here, and I'm experienced enough I break rules like this as a matter of routine. Though I'm not promising a newer gardener would not cause a problem doing that.

Perhaps cutting some blooms and staking and pushing the remaining saliva blooms could work. Plus maybe thin the tomato enough you save just enough to get it to grow to one side, giving you a taste test of this variety. Might be your most interesting combination of the year. :)

If not, I would take it as a lesson learned and buy tomatoes at the farmers market. Can't buy bumblebees and hummingbirds.

Side note ... I looked up your saliva since it's not one I have, but certainly will now. Most interesting thing I found is :
    Quote:
    according to Plant Delights Nursery, Salvia balsamisp 'Mystic Spires' started as a radiation-induced mutation on S. 'Indigo Spires' in 2003.

This post was edited by plaidbird on Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 8:13

• widdringtonia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's difficult to get a good photo because they're kind of spindly. But here we go. I stuck a 12" / 30cm ruler a cm or to into the ground next to one, for an approximation of size. The other De Baroa is in the foreground. The one in the foreground has started to head towards the back of the bed, where the trellis is, and there is a lot more sun, but the one at the back isn't.

• widdringtonia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was kind of hoping I'd be told that it's okay to transplant these tomatoes. LOL

All my other toms are doing great. My cherry tomatoes have been putting out fruit for a few weeks and my black dragon has one tomato on it, and hopefully more soon.

This is a new perennial bed. Last spring I removed everything that was in it - which wasn't much, two boxwood hollies and an invasion of liriope - and planted what's in it now. The Mystic Spires (thanks for correcting my spelling, I should have looked it up first) did well last year, but has gone crazy this year.

• plaidbird
    9 years ago

I take back what I said about thinning the tomato. ;)

Looks like my issue with trying to find spots with enough sun. Seems the saliva could use more light too, but it's able to do okay there, so one more reason to put it on my shopping list. That back area where I see brick and concrete looks very promising for tomatoes. I,'m finding the more heat I can have around them ( here in Portland) the better luck I'm having.

The tomato sure shows the lack of sun. I'll let the tomato experts here address that part. I just wanted to let you know some of us share the looking for sun spots to grow tomatoes. Your not alone.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Take a cutting of the tomato, root it, and plant it elsewhere.

Rodney

• donna_in_sask
    9 years ago

I can't see those spindly stems supporting any tomatoes, if they even produce any. Are you sure there's only two plants? Looks like multiple stems coming out of the ground in both places. If your season is long enough, it's probably a good idea to take those cuttings and start again, or dig one up and put it in a more ideal spot...it's not going to amount to much in its present location.

• widdringtonia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the sympathy and advice. I'll take cuttings.

Plaidbird, that area of concrete/brick is already growing lots of tomatoes. And a couple of herbs. Heat isn't really a problem here in coastal South Carolina, but this garden definitely has more shade than I've had to deal with before.