Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phyllisb2008

Yellow Kent

phyllisb2008
11 years ago

Can anyone tell me about Yellow Kent tomatoes?

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Sounds like a name someone just made up for it. Nothing by that name is listed in any of the standard tomato info bases. What was your source for it?

Dave

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

I was going to ask the same Dave.

I searched both Kent Yellow and Yellow Kent at:

Tania's data base
    Googled both
    Ventmarin
    Several SSE Yearbooks.

I was going to search Tomodori but that site usually sends you back to Ventmarin anyway.

The only thing close was something called Kents Yellow pages and that was followed by a list of restaurants that served tomatoes, most of the being pizza places. ( smile)

Carolyn

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

There is apparently a Kent, but it's red. I only found it listed in Ventmarin, and the only information was that it was a round red from the US.

I wondered if "Kent" might be an abbreviation for "Kentucky" (that was the old abbreviation for the state, IIRC). There is no Kentucky Yellow in the major databases I checked (Tatiana's, Ventmarin, Google's veggie seed search, the forum which cannot be named, and Tomatensorten) ... but there is a Kentucky Beefsteak Yellow:
    http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Kentucky_Beefsteak_Yellow

and a Kentucky Light Yellow:
    http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Kentucky_Light_Yellow

Nothing named plain Kentucky in any of those databases.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Yes, I also saw the red Kent at Ventmarin.

When was Kent an abbreviation for Kentucky? I've known it as KY for I can't tell you how many years,well at least back to about 1975 when SSE started and probably before that as well.

Just curious but does anyone know when the state abbreviations we know today were agreed on and assigned?

Hopefully the original poster will give us more information on Yellow Kent.

Carolyn

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

Kent. was the abbreviation for Kentucky when Calif. was the abbreviation for California. Zip codes came in about 1961-62 (guessing, but definitely by 1963, because I still remember the zip code for the house we moved away from that year); the two-digit state postal codes were later. [Okay, I correct some of this below. *lol*]

Mont., Nev., S. Dak., N. Dak., W. Va., Ala., Miss., Tex., Wisc., Minn., Tenn., Ark., Colo., Wyo., Ore., Wash., Del., Conn., Mass., Ill., Mich., Ariz., O.,

Lots of sources online (just google "old state abbreviations).:

According to Wikipedia (which seems to have the most thorough information; I just hope it's correct) my "Kent." was unofficial (as were others of the old abbreviations I remember using), and both zip codes and the 2-letter abbreviations were instituted in 1963. I can remember filling in forms long after 1963 where there were more than two spaces for the state (or at least I think I remember that).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_abbreviations

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Lots of sources online (just google "old state abbreviations).:

Better you than me with the Google searches since my brother and a friend arrived here from NC today, thank heavens it wasn't my brother alone since when that happens I have to have Freda move all my tomato stuff from several places in the back room to make up the sofa sleeper for him/

Same old story as in did you make a new will yet, etc. LOL

He and his family moved from here in 2005 and he took his friend for a drive to show him his old place, made trout fishing plans with his best trout person up here.

So you see, I was quite unable to do any Google searches at all. ( smile)

Carolyn, the slightly older but somewhat wiser sister of said brother. LOL

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

Enjoy the company. I'm sure your brother's happy to be away from the weather we're having here at the moment (IIRC, he's probably northish of me, so I assume the weather's just as hot as here).

I'm also the older sister, but my brother lives in the British Virgin Islands and doesn't even try to grow anything. And I'm also hassled about wills....

• phyllisb2008
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank ya'll for the info I couldn't find a thing on that name but I'll tell you one thing they are delish. I looked at some images on the web and it looks like a pilcer Vesy listed on the Bakers creek site. I recieved the seeds on a swap so who knows I don't keep a list of what I get or who I swap with. Thanks again!

• bigpinks
    11 years ago

Maybe related to the Kentucky Beefsteak?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler