Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeligbass

problem with Brandywine

zeligbass
9 years ago

Hi there.

I am having problems with my Brandywine plants.
I found a an old post describing the exact same condition, with an image showing the exact same leaf disease, so I added to that old post. But it seems you guys are'nt hanging out at the 'Tomato Pests & Diseases' forum (or could it be that nobody had an answer...?)

Anyway, next time I'll know better. But for now, if someone could check it out and maybe lend some advice...

Mine is the second post but the original one holds the description of my problem.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tompests/msg0805002223671.html?1

Many Thanks.

Ilan.

Comments (11)

• zeligbass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Better way to add a link?

Here is a link that might be useful: See old post here.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Consider Leaf Edema.

In the link below there are many pictures with the different links and several look just like your picture.

Why just Brandywine? Not all varieties handle water inside the plant in the same way.

Not a disease at all. rather, a physiological condition.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaf edema

• CaraRose
    9 years ago

Interesting, I hadn't heard of leaf edema, but I'm pretty sure this is what my seedlings start to get indoors every year. But it goes away once they're moved outside. The potato leaf seedlings seem to be most susceptible.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Cara, I don't know what happens to your inside seedlings, but transpiration of the leaves is found with outside plants normally b/c of wind, etc.

And it can happen with both RL and PL varieties, but as I said above, not all varieties are that susceptible to it since different varieties can and do handle water/nutrients differently inside the plant.

It's one of the reasons why certain varieties, such as paste varieties, are more prone to BER.

Carolyn

• zeligbass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was pretty sure they were dying... Looks very hard to do photosynthesis with leaves like this. I actually pulled one out. Thought I'd replace with a different tomato variety while the season still allows.

Thanks for your help.

Ilan.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Ilan, no problem with photosynthesis at all.

Those varieties that have rugose foliage that's both pleated and puckered have no problem with photosynthesis either. Most of the true Dwarf varieties have rugose foliage and they grow like gangbusters, as is oft said. (smile)

Carolyn

• CaraRose
    9 years ago

Reading on it, I'm fairly sure the cause is what I figured it was, even without knowing what the problem was exactly. I had always figured it was some sort of fungus. I don't have a fan and my light shelf is in a basement so the air is a bit damp. I need to get a fan for better air circulation on the seedlings. :)

• zeligbass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK.

So here's a picture. I just find it hard to believe that the tip of this plant can do a good job at producing new growth.
    Of course I don't doubt the knowledge and expertise here...

Thanks again.

Ilan.

• zeligbass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And a little closer...

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

The fact that you show a plant with no strong central leader stem is not related to the leaf edma, as far as I know.

Sometimes one just gets those two side branches with no leader stem.

Most of the time I can spot them shortly after germination, when you just see a green knob in the center, sometimes called a blind plant,and most times nothing happens at all, and sometimes there will be lateral branches that come out one either side of that green knob, and sometimes only one lateral branch.

Perhaps you didn't see that with the young seedling, but it does explain what you are seeing now.

Carolyn

• zeligbass
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What I thought I was seeing in this picture was a plant with a single main stem, the tip of which being so sick that the plant holds no chance of further developing into adulthood...?

Ilan.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner