Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yaeli_gw

what to do, what to do, advice sought!

Yaeli
10 years ago

Out of the compost that I made last summer and in the fall and spread on the garden, I got dozens (more than 80) of tomato plant volunteers popping up everywhere. All of them sprouted from tomatoes that I bought at the market and far out-stripped the cherry tomato plants I started from seed packet in terms of size and health and that sprouted at the same time. I composted most of them and transplanted just the very strongest. At least 16 of the 18 plants I now have growing are volunteers.

Currently 12 of the tomato plants (1 cherry, 11 mystery-but-big tomatoes) have fruit on them. Most of the plants sporting big tomatoes have 12 plus fruit on each moving toward ripening. Some of them are still flowering (though it is getting mighty hot and so fruit may not set), some are still getting taller, and some appear to have stopped growing up and out, while producing fruit. Can I assume that those that have stopped growing are determinants and that after I harvest the current fruit on them I should pull them up?

Based on last year, any of the indeterminants will probably produce their largest harvest in the fall (november/december) when temperatures get relatively reliably cool. I'm wondering if I should start some more cherry/other indeterminants from seed now to replace those that turn out to definitely be determinants to make sure we have enough tomatoes in the fall (July-mid-October the only option for fresh is to buy from the store as temperatures are so hot here). The cherry toms we started from seed last year did not produce well even at their peak (7 plants produced less than what most here report from a single plant).

Any advice, suggestions, moral support is much appreciated!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living