Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using coffee grounds on plants

Posted by leslie_c 7, harrisonburg (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 07 at 8:43

Has anyone tried using coffee grounds on their tomato plants? I tried last year and it seemed to work. I heard you should try it after the first tomato shows, anyone have any ideas? Here's a link to one site that talks about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: using coffee grounds

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using coffee grounds on plants

I just picked up 2 10 lbs bags of used grounds from starbucks and I think I'm going to put them in my compost pile. I might even sprinkle some on top of my mulch. Its seems to be loaded with nitrogen so I will be careful.

o

Have not done it in a couple of years. I used to take garbage bags full from Starbucks..dumped it right into the soil..I think it is good.
Martha/zucchini

o

I have always dumped the grounds around my pine trees and roses but will consider using them on tomatoes now thanks :)

o

• Posted by qaguy Sunset 21/LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 2:41

No problem using them on tomatoes or anything else for that matter.
They add organic matter to the soil (the filters will break down too,
so throw them in) and attract earthworms! An added bonus.

Been using them for years and the garden is doing great. Can't
attribute all of that to the coffee grounds because I've added
other amendments as well. But I sure it helped.

o

• Posted by doof SoCal 10a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 18, 07 at 10:42

Just an observation...

We go through a LOT of coffee in this household. Last year, I got into the habit of dumping my coffee grounds in different parts of the garden. I don't have a compost heap, so I just dumped them.

One of the places that I regularly dumped grounds, a spot in my raspberry patch, was totally bare of plant life this year, (not even WEEDS) exactly in the place where I did the most dumping.

Could be a coincidence. I don't know. But I'm trying to spread them out more, just in case.

o

I compost the filters and use the grounds as a tip dressing. Otherwise the filters dry out and blow away. Don't top dress too heavy or the grounds will repel water otherwise headed for your root zone. Light application or scratch it in.

o

try tobacco leaves. youll have livley tomacco's in no time

o

I use coffee grounds...just the 1/2 cup I ground about 3-4 days a week in my tomatoes and my "mini" rose plants! THEY LOVE THEM! I am a zone 4 and I have 4' plants with HUGE green fruits all over them and even my mini roses have like 6-10 blooms per plant! I just scoop a table spoon or so around the base of each one (sometimes doing every other one, sometimes just random ones) and then when I water (like 1-2 times per week) it gets watered into the soil! I recommend coffee grounds to all tomato people I know...but like anything....moderation! 10 pounds is a ton of grounds! I recommend like a tablespoon or two a week per plant and that's all!

Bec

o

Used coffee grounds are great for vermicomposting. The worms love them!
JT

o

If you want to give your coffee grounds a kick check out the link below. It's a blend of natural nutrients with mycorrhizae fungi. You get the concentrate and mix with 5lbs of coffee grounds and use as directed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardengrounds

o

ah...I've been wondering about this as well...can I just start mixing it into my soil before I plant my seedlings? What about eggshells? Coffee and eggshells?

o

What about eggshells? Coffee and eggshells?

I have a coffee can that is slowly filling up with my used (and dried) coffee grounds and cleaned, crushed eggshells. We are house-hunting; I can't wait to finally get a garden and use my Magic Coffee Can ingredients! :D

I've heard that one of the best things you can do for tomato plants is put about 6-8 cups of crushed eggshells in the planting hole before adding the plant. I did it last year and my tomatoes turned out really well. Eggshells provide calcium that is good for the plants and prevents blossom end rot.

Also, it saves those nutrients from sitting in a plastic trash bag in a landfill for thousands of years!

o

In using coffee grounds for tomato plants, how often should, or can, this be done?

o

Thank you all I'll try them in my tomatos and roses also in my garden.I'll let you know! @

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here