Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aragon127

Tomato Plants Browning/Dying

aragon127
12 years ago

Any help identifying the problem with my plants would be appreciated.

I have about 25 plants in a raised bed, next to a few peppers and eggplants. The soil is loose, filled with mushroom compose, vermiculite, top soil, and hardwood fines. It's been in use about 5 years. The tomatoes themselves are grown from seeds, mostly heirloom, with a few saved from last year (mixed variety).

Most of the plants are exhibiting some degree of the problem. The leaves are getting brown spots on them. They are not little or round, rather oblong splotches that spread across the leaves. They leaves brown, then the branch yellows, and eventually falls off. The splotches cover both sides of the leaf.

Some leaves exhibit holes, but not all. I found one leaf with tiny little green (eggs?) on one side, but none on the other. Some plants are much more effected than others. The worst, by far, is a plant on the farthest side, near a cedar fence and closest to an empty lot opposite my yard. This plant is clearly dying. Some others have only small amounts of brown spots, but it appears to be spreading.

I thought fungus at first, and treated with green cure, bio-neem, and one other organic fungicide. This had no effect.

It seems like insect damage from the way it's so heavy on certain plants, but I can so no evidence of spider mites or the like on the plants.

Any idea how to figure it out?

Comments (3)

• planetes
    12 years ago

If you can link some pictures it would be much easier for us to diagnose.

• aragon127
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pictures below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are some pics of the damage

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I see what is likely some flea beetle damage is several of the pics, some just environmental damage in a couple of the pics and some early Septoria Leaf Spot in one of the photos (last full plant photo).

Strip off all the affected foliage and discard it out of the garden, trim off all those branches that are sitting on or touching the ground, and start a regular fungicide spraying program - weekly applications. Daconil is the fungicide of choice but if you want only organic then look at Serenade or one of the other copper based sprays.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Septoria

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations