Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frdnicholas

What is 'uneven' watering?

frdnicholas
14 years ago

I have read some posts that talk about "uneven watering" as a problem for tomatoes. I don't know what that means. I understand that you can give tomatoes too much or too little water, but what is uneven watering? Is it alternating between too much and too little? Thanks for any help given.

Comments (3)

• bigdaddyj
    14 years ago

You got it. It's alternating between too much and too little water. We can't help the too much water part when it rains like crazy but that's why a well drained raised bed helps alot especially in areas of wet summers. During dry times water deeply and wait for the top 2 inches of soil to dry out before watering again.

• sillyrib
    14 years ago

yes, too much water after too little leads to cracked, dead tomatoes(they turn before ripening naturally). Too little water after wet conditions leads to Blossom end Rot. Tomatoes need consistant conditions. I find that wetter conditions lead to bigger plants with more fruit but there are people who claim that dry consistant conditions lead to better tasting tomatoes. I don't know if that last one is true or not.

• kdawg
    14 years ago

You can water less as the plant ages. Water more heavily in the early stages to help establish the plant, but then back off once the fruit is maturing.