Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kpev7hard_gw

Planted Campari Seeds

kpev7hard
12 years ago

I recently discovered how awesome Campari tomatoes are when I bought a pack from BJ's. I immediately went online to see where I could buy seeds and found that you can't! I read that some people had success planting seeds from the tomatoes they bought at the store, so last night I tossed a bunch of seeds in a pot (after I made a delish tomato basil salad!). Has anyone had success growing seeds from store-bought Camparis?? I searched this forum and found some threads about this, but no one ever said whether they got any fruit!

Comments (25)

• pz1122
    12 years ago

i planted them last year, they grew pretty true to the ones i bought in the store. The plants were also loaded with them, and they kept for a decent amount of time. Definitely worth the try to plant them.

• kpev7hard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh good!! we'll see what happens i guess.

• kentishman
    12 years ago

My experience has been the same as pz1122. The fruit we grew from seed were very similar to the storebought Camparis.

Tom

• kpev7hard
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks! so do i need to do anything special to the seeds to get them to germinate? i just scraped them right from the cutting board to the pot.

• nordfyr315
    12 years ago

It helps to rub the gel off the seeds with a paper towel. The gel has a hormone in it that inhibits germination.

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

They should sprout in 5 days or.if not they may have rotted

• immirn
    12 years ago

My friend actually found campari tomato plants at our local greenhouse! We shall see if they have them this year. Worth the effort, great tomatoes.

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

Campari is a hybrid and was bred for inside greenhouse growing, and many have found that if growing plants from the saved seeds from the hybrid that they can have white cores.

At another message site someone was comparing Campari saved seeds with Mountain Magic F1, which I love, and that b'c MMF1 is said to be a Campri type/

I can't link to threads from other sites here at GW but the pictures he showed indicated all sizes of fruits of Campari as opposed to the uniform size fruits of MM F1.

So I think it's great that some of you say that the fruits of the Camparis are no differernt from the orignal F1's. If you stop to think about it, I don't think that makes much sense, b'c seeds saved from a hybrid start segregating and you'd see that if you planted out enough plants, as this fellow did.

Whatever, though, if you like them that's all that matters.

Carolyn

• uncle_t
    11 years ago

Campari thread bumped (instead of starting another).

So last week (during a snow storm) I purchased a 1 lb. clamshell of Sunset Campari tomatoes. Five bucks for a pound of tomatoes! Where's the beef......steak? Heck, sirloin costs less. :\ For I could not bear the idea of paying Burbee's "give us your first child" prices:

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato-mountain-magic-hybrid-prod001633.html

Planted the seeds three days ago; they are now sprouted and looking great! I'm not worried about them growing "true"; i'll take my chances.

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

I just looked at my notes from the time I grew seeds from a grocery Campari. It was one of the Late Blight years; I only got a handful of fruit, but they seemed like the parent fruit I'd eaten several months earlier.

I remember the F2's "white core" as more of a white thread or string: annoying but involving a smaller percentage of the fruit than the white cores some larger varieties have.

• jll0306
    11 years ago

I was very happy with the taste of the Campari I started from seeds of the store bought varieties, as were the people I gifted with my extra plants.

I did not save the seeds and try for another generation. I not gotten into dehybridizing at all, but I have read that there will be much more segregation in the next generations, and that it is not until F-8 that one can be said to have a stable variety.

5 bucks for three or four tomatoes IS expensive. but when you look at it in the light of the comparison Uncle has made, it is really a bargain. And you don't have to pay postage!

Jan

• Blue Cat
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Can seeds for Mountain Magic F1 be bought? I have heard that hybrids, like Campari, will revert to an ancestor.

• sharonrossy
    8 years ago

I bought Mountain Magic seeds from Johnnys seeds.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This might sound like a conspiracy theory. Seed companies often hybridize to sell seeds , not necessarily to produce a better tomato and in their secret gardens who know what they are doing !!!. There is no law to punish them if they lie..

Sey

PS:

I am growing KUMATO and Mini Roma/Juliet From store tomatoes, this season..

• Blue Cat
    8 years ago

Thanks PC. I'm new at the whole seed thing. I've been a died in the wool plant buyer my whole life, and Early Girl was my go-to tomato. But I fell in love with Golden cherry tomatoes a few years ago, and could not find plants this year, and I absolutely love Campari tomatoes. A friend gave me some golden cherries and I want to try to save some seeds for next year, and the weather has been so awful in the northern midwest, that I'm still buying Camparis at the end of July! So far 12 stunted plants, and 4 ripe tomatoes after 3 months of hoeing!

Happy hoe, hoe, hoeing!

Blue Cat

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    8 years ago

PC , I only stated my "General Theory of Conspiracy". hehe

Sey

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    8 years ago

I find Compari the best winter tomato sold in the grocery store, but give me my Black Krims, my Anna Russians, Great Whites, and almost any other home-grown OP any day. And in a week or two I'll find out if I can add Brandy Boy to the list as well as 1884, Cuostralee, Constoluto Genovese and the volunteers from a plant I got from my brother last year -- it's round, red and I think it's from a Burpee seed but I can't remember the variety.

• Alice J Martin
    7 years ago

I just purchased Campari tomato seeds on eBay

• Alice J Martin
    7 years ago

My favorite tomato is Cherokee Purple & Black Prince & Sun Sugar tie for best cherry tomatoes!

&

• rykerdad
    7 years ago

I am a newbie at starting veggies from seed.

I discovered & love Compari's. Basic homework says some

tomato breeds need light to germinate, others require dark.

I have found NOTHING about Comapri's :-(

Can anyone clue me in ? ((Yes,I've read they may NOT

germinate from seed recued from store bought tomatos)

Thanks Folks !

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

"Basic homework says some tomato breeds need light to germinate, others require dark."

No idea where you read that but it is totally wrong. No tomato seeds require light to germinate nor do they need dark. Light is totally irrelevant to them until AFTER the seeds germinate. But they all do need light and lots of it to grow as soon as they are germinated.

Dave

• gorbelly
    7 years ago

No tomatoes need light to germinate. None require dark. They just need moisture and a good temperature, and they will germinate under any light conditions. But as soon as they germinate, they will need adequate light, or they'll get leggy very quickly.

• HU-407182591
    last year

I have, my plants 10 ft high and loaded on 4. plants. I grew about 100 plants so everyone got plants and had the same great. luck with

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 months ago

Does anyone know of a reputable source for Campari tomato seeds or starter plants? I'd love to grow them. Will resort to growing seeds from the store-bought tomato if I have to, but would love to buy true seeds or starter plants.

Patty S.