Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heavy Rain/Tomato Cracking/Remove?

Posted by Stellabee none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 8:50

Good Morning, Everyone,

We just had about three very rainy days. I went outside this morning and noticed that many of the quarter (or a bit larger) size green tomatoes have horribly cracked through the bottom. Should I remove them, so that the plant can concentrate on recreating healthy tomatoes or just leave them to ripen? They are awfully green, small, and already quite damaged...

Thanks & Please Advise if you...:-)

Stellabee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heavy Rain/Tomato Cracking/Remove?

It's your choice. Many will heal/scar over weather permitting, some won't. So it is up to you which you remove and which you don't.

You don't include your zone or location so we can't really advise on specifics.

Dave

o

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the quick response, and I'm going to do just that. I'll wait and see if they start to heal and only cut the ones that don't seem to be recovering properly.

Oh, and didn't realize I didn't type in my area (Decatur, GA)...oops.

o

Stellabee, there's also a Decatur IL. And one in AL. And TX. MI, IN, NE.... 8-)

o

If you add your zone and/or specific location to the Zone bar provided with posts it then becomes permanent for all your posts and no need to type it in each time.

It really is vital info. They need to remove the "(optional)" element from it because it isn't...optional.

Dave

o

Hey Guys, thanks. I will click around and see if I can make my area permanent for posts. It is annoying to have to type it in each time.

By the way, Dave, the tomatoes have already started to heal and it's only been about 24 hours-amazing. Thanks for the good advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here