Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rselph

Tomato plants growing out of control! lol

rselph
9 years ago

My indeterminate tomatoes are growing crazy tall! They are at the 6 foot mark right now. I have them staked as I have a very small garden and it didn't allow for room to cage them. I allowed a few branches to grow and most of them are over 4ft now. This is the first time I have planted indeterminate maters in my little garden, I usually just have bush maters in pots. They are doing well and producing a fair amount of maters despite me planting them late. My question is what do y'all recommend as far as containing them? I just keep adding to my stakes to make them higher but they are getting to the point that my short self can't reach them. lol So my questions are. How talk are they going to get!? And do you recommend cutting the tops back or just let them go and fold over? I hate to cut them, because I see little mater flowers at the tippy top. And don't want to hurt my crop. Thank you so much in advance. This is my first year that I have had a little garden of my own. So it's been a learning process. :)

Comments (6)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Sure. Some indets get over 8 ft tall, in good growing conditions, if left unchecked. It is a choice to top them. It is done with a lot of trees, shrubs and garden vegetables to encourage lateral growth. (like cucurbits)
    When you stake a tommato plant and keep just a few branches, then the plant has tendency to grow taller but if you let it to have more branches it cannot grow as tall (some still may).

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

My question is what do y'all recommend as far as containing them? I just keep adding to my stakes to make them higher but they are getting to the point that my short self can't reach them. lol So my questions are. How talk are they going to get!? And do you recommend cutting the tops back or just let them go and fold over?

Frequent question here so you might be interested in reading the previous discussions on this topic too. Since most indeterminate varieties can easily reach 8-10, even 12 feet so when you grow them you have to anticipate that height. And if you prune the stems they will just grow taller to compensate It is their nature.

So when when caged and left unpruned their height are more manageable. When in 5-6' cages most just let them drape back down over the outside of the cage. Works with no problems.

When you use stakes instead of cages then you can either (1) grow determinates, (2) not prune the indeterminates so they stay shorter, (3) cut off the tops, or (4) you can add more stakes around the plant and use string to create a kind of cage and tie the top growth to those surrounding stakes as it begins to drape back down. Picture a sort of tepee of 3-4 stakes around the plant.

Dave

• rselph
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone, I think I might try a bit of everything, prune some and make a "stake cage" around others to see how they fair. This is my first real garden. So I will no better for next time what works for me :) thank you all for the quicke responses! :)

• Mike
    9 years ago

Dave gave you all four of your options:

I hate to pinch top growth as I want as much production as possible - I'm short too, get a step stool and stay away from the root zone as to keep from compacting the soil =)..

Letting them sprawl usually just gets a little too congested for my liking lol (unless you have high cages as mentioned) ... I'd go with more stakes around the perimeter, coincided with minimal sprawling if necessary.

It's beautiful to have a horizontal structure of some sort to tie up to.. 6-8' tall electrical conduit paired with a tee on the top and two more horizontal pieces would work wonders.. Looking like this T ... It would allow you to tie upwards..
    Tie a bunch of strings around the horizontal pieces before erecting the support.. At the bottom end of each string you could add a hoop of some sort (shower curtain hooks, key rings etc).. When your ready you could simply fasten a branch, go up through a hoop and tie it off...

I always tied to stakes but I've found in the past that with the weight of a few bunches of fruit they like to slide back down seeing as how they're tied vertically.. Unless you have more rigid types of stakes that will keep the tie from sliding..

The only issue now will be driving the stakes or conduit into the ground.. Steer clear of the base of the plant and a little past the drip line to keep the root damage to an absolute minimum..

This post was edited by michael723 on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 15:06

• fireduck
    9 years ago

Lesson learned....I undershot my support system last year, as well. This year I had my T stakes and CRW system dialed in when my plants were 4" high. A better way to go...instead of playing catch-up.

• yardenman
    9 years ago

Some indeterminate tomatoes can be unstopable! They ARE vines. I use 5' high remesh cages on mine and some years I've considered adding another on top and keeping a stepladder stationed nearby. LOL!