Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kingzero47

dying tomato plant :(

kingzero47
10 years ago

hi, can someone please hav e a look at this and tell me if it looks like something obvious is wrong?

i know somethings wrong, but im keen to find out if its under/too much watering???

please help, thanks

Comments (12)

• fireduck
    10 years ago

You either burned it with too much fert or it needs water. Dig down to roots and check moisture.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

The one consolation of a plant that is too far gone for saving is that you can pull it up and see what happened at the root level. A plant autopsy, if you will. :(

Overwatering, or bad potting mix, or both, are certainly possibilities...the roots would look dark and rotted instead of white and healthy if that is the case.

When I lost some plants my first season, I joked with my husband that the $ we spent on soil amendments, fertilizer, and plants was actually spent on "gardening lessons." Then we happily sampled the veggies at the farmers market until trying again the next year. :)

• kingzero47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aww ok, so theres no way this is coming back to life?

• kingzero47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aww ok, so theres no way this is coming back to life?

its possible ive put too much plant food in???

look at the stem...theres a weird white substance appears to be on there?

This post was edited by kingzero47 on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 10:04

• jadie88
    10 years ago

True...with those fertilizers sitting close at hand in the photo, it makes you wonder!

The tomato gurus who help so much around here will want to know some other basic info, like what kind of potting mix you are growing in, how often/how much you water, sun/rain/temperature exposure, etc. perhaps also how the plant declined: did it to down hill fast, or did it begin to wilt gradually from the top down? Any such info would be helpful.

• kingzero47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok, well someone who was round told me that it looked like it needed more water...so he literally soaked the soil..thing is, the leaves were going slightly yellow at that point, but i suspected it was down to too MUCH water, however he thought differently

since then, it has went downhill rapidly :(

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

I would go with your instinct that it was too much water. That plant is a goner, so pull it out and take a look at the roots. Probably won't find too many and what you do find may be brown, slimy and rotting.

Lesson learned: don't let other people do things to your plants, tell them to go kill their own.

• kingzero47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aw ok :(

thank you for all your help

so, basically if the roots are brown and slimy, this confirms its been too much water?

• jadie88
    10 years ago

True...with those fertilizers sitting close at hand in the photo, it makes you wonder!

The tomato gurus who help so much around here will want to know some other basic info, like what kind of potting mix you are growing in, how often/how much you water, sun/rain/temperature exposure, etc. perhaps also how the plant declined: did it to down hill fast, or did it begin to wilt gradually from the top down? Any such info would be helpful.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

Well, if the plant got to almost full grown, you must have been doing something right, and the plant would have needed alot of water. Looks like something dramatic happened for it to die all of a sudden. Unless you changed the watering regimine, like letting it sit in a bucket of water, or if you poured the whole bottle of MG on it, I suspect some sort of disease. If your mix drains well (which is the big key,) it's almost impossible to overwater and a heavy dose of MG would have run right out the bottom anyway. I suspect either a VERY dense mix, or disease. Any weed killer or anything lying around that a child might have poured into the soil?

• kingzero47
    Original Author
    10 years ago

interestingly, the chlorine in the water thing may be something...i water the plants right from an outside tap and i live in scotland, where im sure there is chlorine in the water..????

i dont want to dig this out, i still, william wallace style, think i can beat the odds and revive this!!

however, is there literally ZERO chance?

• jadie88
    10 years ago

No idea why my last post repeated...sorry bout that.

You know, with tomatoes, there is rarely ZERO chance of survival...they can be tougher than we think! Whether it will ever be productive and healthy is a different story. :)

Wilted leaves are one thing, but its the look of that lower stem segment that makes me think its kaput. If you gently squeeze it near the soil level, does it feel squishy or hollow? If so, give it its last rights and put it to rest. (Sorry!) At any rate, with the looks of it, the best you could hope for would be to leave it alone and see if it limps along and revives. Even if there is a disease to blame (grey mold?) if the whole plant looks like that then any treatment plan is too little and too late. (sorry again!)