Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

Worms IN my tomatoes

jennieboyer
10 years ago

All,

I'm not sure what's going on with my tomatoes. Last night, I went to pick a bunch of cherry tomatoes off the vine and noticed that something is eating the leaves of several plants.

I have 48 plants, and they are planted fairly close, so the bugs have done some decent damage before I noticed (and I hadn't checked on plants in three days).

Was gonna get on that today, but had a surprise when I got up and need some help....

I had rinsed off all the tomatoes and laid them out to dry before I went to bed. This morning when I got up, I found this worm in with the tomatoes laying on the towel drying. Hard to see in the picture, but his head is red. There were three other really small ones that I found as well. Some of the tomatoes had holes that I did not see last night when I rinsed them. Most of the holes are right where the stem was attached.

So, here's my question - did I bring these worms in and not see them and they started eating overnight, or were they somehow in the tomatoes and ate their way out?

And more importantly, what is the best way to deal with them? The thought of biting in to a tomato that has one of these guys inside freaks me out! But I don't want to have to cut open every tomato before I eat it, either.........

TIA! Jennie

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996