Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growneat

Tomatoes grown from cuttings, smaller or fewer?

growneat
9 years ago

The root system for a tomato plant grown from a cutting has to be different from that of a regularly grown tomato plant coming from a seed. Does this difference have a negative impact on the plant yield or size of the tomatoes produced from the cutting plant?

Comments (5)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I think you are correct about the difference.
    Tomato plant grown from cutting will grow lateral and shallow roots, where as those grown from seed will have deeper roots.

But it does not matter much. in most garden situations the plants' foods/nutrients are within the top 12 to 16" top layer. My own raised beds are 12" deep. Though the ground bellow is not too bad but bot good enough to lure the roots.

JMO

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

The root system is only marginally different in that the cutting doesn't develop the single long tap root. But that isn't what feeds the plants anyway. That is the role of the fibrous roots that both equally develop.

I grow 50-60 spring cuttings each year, almost as many as plants grown from seed and all my fall garden plants are cuttings. And no, the production - yield/size - is not affected. Some call cuttings "clones" and in many ways they really are.

Dave

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

The root system for a tomato plant grown from a cutting has to be different from that of a regularly grown tomato plant coming from a seed. Does this difference have a negative impact on the plant yield or size of the tomatoes produced from the cutting plant?

&&&&&

Grow, if you take a cutting and root it in artificial mix it will develop a nice firbrous root system. If you root it in water, as many do, then it will have to adapt to growing in a solid matrix, dirt or artificial mix, and will grow a nice fibrous root system eventually.

If you sow seeds in whatever, unless you transplant them once, they usually will grow a tap root structure, which is different from a fibrous structure. Carrots and beets and root crops like that have a tap root structure.

A fibrous root structure is preferred since there are many more feeder rootlets that allow for better uptake of water and nutrients.

Summary? Plants grown from cuttings form a fibrous root structure, and plants grown from seeds do the same if you transplant them once, So no difference in size or yield of fruits between the two methods,

Carolyn

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Dave, while I was typing you posted, so I'm glad we agree on our answers.

Carolyn, and now back to the mens tennis semi-finals from the French Open. I do have my priorities when tennis is involved. LOL

• growneat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your answers. I am encouraged. I have a few cuttings I am trying and I have several plants that have stems damaged just below the soil that have nice looking tops. I am in the midst of rooting them in potting soil and will later put them out.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor