Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fish Emulsion/Kelp Booster

Posted by susu99 CT/6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 12 at 9:37

I went to Agway to pick up some seaweed/fish emulsion to fertilize my plants this week and they sold me "Kelp Booster". I followed instructions and put about half a cup around the drip line and gently mixed in with a fork all 30 of my plants before I noticed that the bag said "not intended for use on food crops"!!! the ingredients are just calcium and kelp... How bad is this???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fish Emulsion/Kelp Booster

Went to the Agway website to find the product and what it said about it. Couldn't find any kelp products listed in either the organic or non-organic and nothing by that name. Can you find a link to it somewhere?

However I did discover that they sell lots of Espoma fertilizers and Espoma makes a lawn care product called ORGANICA KELP BOOSTER. Is this a picture of what you got? If so then check out the Espoma website instead of Agway or call Espoma for details on why it can't be used on food crops.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Kelp Booster

o

could be the seaweed is sourced from Japan and may contain radioisotopes.

o

Uhh more likely it has some sort of added binders or inert additives that while fine for grass isn't approved for use around edibles. Found the MSDS for it here. Manufactured by Espoma and sold under the brand name Organica Lawn Products

At the very least i'd return the remainder of it to the store that sold it to you and demand money back for mis-representing the product as one for the garden.

The MSDS doesn't list any hazards that jump off the page but the link above does provide the phone for calling Organica for more info on safety.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here