Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
archoo16

help!!

archoo16
11 years ago

Am in a state of fury!! I need to hunt down that which did this to my beautiful tomatoes and squish it! I absolutely have to, before I can revert to my regular self. So help. It comes at night, I watched all day yesterday after it bore into my tomato 1. Today morning, it didn't even resume , but started on a new tomato apparently!(the attitude!!)I sprayed all my 4 plants in containers with gardensafe spray (pyrethrum based). Nothing jiggled wiggled or fell off my plant for me to squish it. Any idea how it would look like or where i might find it hiding? Am thinking spraying with dilute vinegar should keep it away. would it harm my plant?

Also my plant #2 has been having a bad time. Every single tomato has been developing root rot. Its depressing. compounding my fury. Now I am in a furious depression. I tried crushed tums, I added more egg shells. I dont have compost. I live in apartment, my plants are in pots. all plants have same soil, but this one has been acting out. I am thinking i'll pull it up and use the pot for some flowers. Or something thats undepressing. what can I do? help? I realise i have been ranting. Gardening is NOT relaxing.

Comments (10)

• archoo16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii561/archoo16/critter/

the pics are in the above link. I dont have nylons, so am thinking of using plastic bags that are in vegetable aisles with some air holes in it to cover my tomatoes. would they work?

I took up gardening to help me relax when I am studying for my exams. :'( Not working.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics of bite, its crap, and blossom end rot.

• archoo16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oooh! sorry I meant blossom end rot, every fruit has been developing blossom end rot. my bad.

• robertz6
    11 years ago

Last year I put out extra dog dishes with water for animals (squirrels?)who seemed to eat part of a tomato for the water content. Never ate the whole thing, just got another tomato next time. (Maybe thats one of the ten or so reasons I like cherry tom plants so much).

This year the deer is eating whole tomato plants and VHS tape is strung up in hopes the noise and reflections will discourage them. Moth balls, ammonia spray (2% with water), and hot pepper dust are used as well.

Makes you understand why farmers don't need Las Vegas to gamble, they do it every year.

• archoo16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know!!! Am losing my sleep over 4 plants I grew from seeds stuck in my chopping board. I guess its all the time and effort and seeing it grow from tiny little seedlings. Makes you appreciate your parents all the more. I cant watch some critter making holes in two tomatoes . what do people who grow them by acres do?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Your pictures.

BER in one. Most likely squirrels or bird damage in the other. Too round for hornworms.

Dave

• archoo16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dave. You think so? I saw them last, yesterday evening. there was only one with a round hole bite thingy. Another holey tomato this morning. I thought squirrels and birds dont eat at night. Also there was a trail of crap too. you can some of it in the pic. I shook it off. has anybody tries tying a piece of cloth or paper towel dunked in vinegar to the plant? does it work? I looked up the plant and couldn't find a worm anywhere. Btw just now found a tiny pin hole like thing on another baby tomato and took it off the plant. That's 7 tomatoes :'(

• missingtheobvious
    11 years ago

If you try ziplocks, buy one of the pizza-cutters that has a serrated wheel; that seems to be a quick way to make holes to let air in and let moisture out. I've read of someone using that to protect some sort of crop (likely tomatoes or some large fruit), but I don't remember the details (it wasn't on GW). And let us know how it works.

The droppings sound like some sort of insect, probably a caterpillar. So you might try dusting with Bacillus Thuringiensis kurstaki (BT). It kills caterpillars (all caterpillars and only caterpillars -- and not things that aren't caterpillars but resemble them, such as the pine sawfly larvae who are determined to destroy my dwarf mugo pines).

You should be able to find some BT product at your local garden center or big-box store. Make sure it's BT kurstaki (BTk), because there are a couple of other types of BT sold which won't kill caterpillars. [Some of these products are in dust form, which I would think would be easier for you, while others are in spray form (fine for you if in a spray bottle, but probably not something you'd want if it involves spraying from a garden hose.]

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Maybe mice? Try some mouse bait. I don't see any hornworm poop in the pics. It is very specific in appearance. Besides even if it was a hornworm you should be able to find him easy enough.

Where are the plants located?

Dave

• archoo16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are sitting in my balcony and get sun all day. very nice spot actually. I think it might be some kind of a worm because it left long trails of poop. I couldn't stand to look at it and flicked it off my plant before the pics were taken. I'll try the ziplock bag method. am planning to wake up tonight and go check on it. I hope I dont wake my husband. He'll think I've gone nuts and I think am almost there. I checked the plant and the surrounding plants too. I couldn't spot a thing.

• archoo16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And I am buying BT kurstaki today. Thanks missingtheobvious. Didn't know there were different kinds of BT. I use spray containers. The person who lived before me left a loooong hose pipe. I have no clue what she used it for. I have problem enough trying to stop when the trays are full. Half the time they drip down and thankfully the nice lady living downstairs hasn't said a thing . Just smiles at me. I'll have to get her a nice bottle of wine this christmas.